Lightroom - Download, Rent or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom - Download, Rent or Buy?

As advised in another thread elsewhere, I sought to make the leap from DPP to Lightroom.

v5.5 was recommended so that's what I downloaded and tried to install but it baulked on detecting my PC uses Vista as 5.5 requires Win 7 or later.

A short bit of research informed me that LR v4 is Vista compatible so I downloaded that (v4.4) and installed it but, when I selected the option to buy, Adobe informs me I can only rent it for a monthly fee. I do not want to rent software - is it no longer possible to buy outright?

Amazon no longer have v4.4 available but other sources of the disc are available for a reasonable £39 so is that my best course?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Lightroom - Download, Rent or Buy?

I had v4 John, and moved to v5.

v5 does have a couple of new 'tools', such as the 'content aware' move tool, which I have not yet needed to use, and I think that v5 seems to be a bit faster than v4.

Other than that, I was quite happy with v4.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Did you buy v5 or are you having to rent too?

For now I'm limited to v4 and I appear to be able to buy what is presumably ‘old stock’ for £39 but, when I eventually replace my PC, I'll be looking to upgrade my software too but not if that's by monthly rental as it would soon become very expensive indeed.

This may all seem a bit churlish but there's a principle at stake and that's that I don't like to be seen as a cash cow; by renting out their software Adobe appear to be tapping into a revenue stream far in excess of what they would receive by selling ('licensing') their products.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I bought v5 and looking at the improvements between v4 & v5 its well worth getting the new release - The only thing I would recommend is testing it on your system as it is quite labor intensive and if you have a slow old PC with not a lot of memory you could find it very jumpy as I've seen it working on older machines and its not pleasant to use
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Try: http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/adobe-p...Fa7KtAodCQMAAQ
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Thanks Andy,
            That's the £39 offer Google led me to and It’s in my basket as I type as it's a steal but I think my initial question exposed my irritation with Adobe's business model.

People stopped renting TVs years ago as it was dumb yet here we are in 2014 and a premier software producer is resurrecting the same approach to business. I suppose it has been thus for ever with 'big' software: the MRP/MRP2 systems I supported in another life were effectively rented by us but thet were so flaky with regular patches needed to keep it creaking and wheezing along it made sense to keep the supplier close but Adobe supply the market at large with (supposedly) stable product.

Yes there are professionals who may benefit and can offset the high cost in the overheads they pass on to customers but there are the untold legions of amateurs, like most of us on this forum, who will be quite happy with an old release and rarely upgrade.

Thanks Tigger,
            My PC is a few years old hence running Vista but it was a high spec machine when I bought it with a quad core processor and 4gb RAM was blisteringly fast. Inevitable time has seen it become cluttered and my new-found interest in post-processing images is putting quite a strain on it (and RAW filling my 4tb NAS drive rapidly) I ought to either cram in as much RAM as possible or buy a new computer dedicated to photography. Could I ever get used to a one-button mouse? Hmm, I need to think about that

Meanwhile, I have an order for LR v4.4 to complete!

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post

Thanks Tigger,
              My PC is a few years old hence running Vista but it was a high spec machine when I bought it with a quad core processor and 4gb RAM was blisteringly fast. Inevitable time has seen it become cluttered and my new-found interest in post-processing images is putting quite a strain on it (and RAW filling my 4tb NAS drive rapidly) I ought to either cram in as much RAM as possible or buy a new computer dedicated to photography. Could I ever get used to a one-button mouse? Hmm, I need to think about that

Meanwhile, I have an order for LR v4.4 to complete!

Cheers,
              John
              one button mouse, you mean as in Mac? if so they are two button now ;o) ... When I got back into photography I also swapped over to Mac and its been quite a learning curve but well worth it and the Imac runs LR very fast - if your going to consider swapping then nows the chance to do it as you will need the Mac version of LR

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I did mean MAC and I'm delighted to hear that Apple have finally woken up to one button being at least one too few

I think my first step is upgrade my PC (is 4gb RAM inadequate?) but anyway I'm committed to LR v4.4 now so will probably start asking lots of questions in a few days time.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

I did mean MAC and I'm delighted to hear that Apple have finally woken up to one button being at least one too few

I think my first step is upgrade my PC (is 4gb RAM inadequate?) but anyway I'm committed to LR v4.4 now so will probably start asking lots of questions in a few days time.

Cheers,
                  John
                  I'm sure when I was looking into LR that V5 uses 2.5GB to run so that alone made me upgrade my memory requirements. I think with just 4GB I you may have memory issues, but TBH with the price of memory being so cheap I would just put another 4gb into the machine - I had a quick look your only looking at £30 upwards so in the grand scope of things and the cost of digital photography quite cheap

Comment

Thanks Dave. Did you buy v5 or are you having to rent too?
                    Sorry, John, have only just returned to this 'thread'.

I bought V4, and then upgraded to V5.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

That's OK Dave, thanks.

I'm getting v4 as that's what my operating system limits me to. There is no upgrade path with it but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

As I said John, I was quite happy with v4, and I'm sure you will be.

I only upgraded to v5 because it was new, and I'm a sucker for the latest software, whatever it is.

That said, I've had no desire to upgrade from Win 7 to Win8.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X