Printers..but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printers..but which one?

Iam about to buy (max £300) a printer.I use a 30D and am just beggining, I wish to shoot in raw and compete in my photo Soc`s competitions....can you give me some pointers please?

Re: Printers..but which one?

Do you have to show in A3?
    ef-r

Comment

For around £239(camrea world) you can buy epson stylus photo1400 that will print upto A3+,Its a printer i use and love it to bits its easy to use gives great results every time.Print colors are very true may need to get newer updated versions if you do a lot of Black and white but for color prints at A3 at this price i think it would be hard to beat.There are 6 inks in all that would cost you around £65 online to replace all 6,my local camera shop stocks them but charges £13 each so best to shop around(just like everything else).
      I've always been very pleased with the prints color/sharpness is always there once i've clicked print i know if its right on the screen it will be right in print
      Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Hi briansquibb.."the prints must be mounted and adequatlly backed, mount size 50cm x 40cm, one dimension of the print must not exceed 24 cm" This is a quote from the printed ruless, as I am not sure what size A3 is in cm`s perhaps you do? thank you for your initial reply...M

Comment

Is this a laser printer....as I think they may be better....any further ideas? thanks M.

Comment

A3 = 297 × 420 mm
            A4 = 210 × 297mm

Brian
            ef-r

Comment

Have a look here at size all in mm but will give you an idea
              Paul
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by nitram4444 View Post
                Is this a laser printer....as I think they may be better....any further ideas? thanks M.
                No its inkjet don't know many people who use laser printers for photo prints usually seen in the office printing 1000s of documents ?

Comment

Paul's advice re the stylus 1400 is spot on! I had one for a good few years. Sadly it gave up on me recently – probably sheer exhaustion.
                  Dave

Comment

Absolutely NOT. Lasers are great for quick prints of text and limited graphics or maybe presentations but not photographs.

You may see acceptable images on the plain or thin glossy paper they print on but for a photographer these are not acceptable quality.

Inkjets on the other hand can produce better than lab quality images!

The Espon 1440 is a decent choice at the lower end of the A3 scale. The only issue is the cost of ink and very small cartridges that constantly need replacing. I've goner to a CIS system from Fotospeed and it's been superb and reasonably priced taking into account the savings on OEM cartridges.

Jim
                    Last edited by EOS_Jim; 20-05-2010, 23:10.
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

OH knowledgable JIM, what is a CIS system and whom or what is Fotospeed? PLease,tell itin simple language ......Thanks M.

Comment

OH knowledgable JIM, what is a CIS system and whom or what is Fotospeed? PLease,tell itin simple language ......Thanks M.
                        lol

A CIS system is a Continuous Ink System. Basically on my Epson R2400 I have a set of ink bottles attached to the side of the printer and there are tubes that feed into each of the 8 cartridges. THese provide a continuous supply of ink and thebottles just need topped up every now and again - It's not original Epson ink but does a super job and I've had plenty of comments about the excellent quality of prints - they didn't know it was done on an inkjet!

See here - http://www.fotospeed.com/Printer-ref.../catalogue/22/
                        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

A3 plus I think ...HELP!!!! m

Comment

A3+ is a good size but I'd like an A2 (possibly bigger)! But that won't be for a couple of years anyway!

Comment

Working...
                            X