high tide on dee estuary weds 10th sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high tide on dee estuary weds 10th sept

if anyone that went last time or anyone else that wants to come along .there is another high tide event on the dee estuary this weds ,i will hopefully be around the vicinity of the car park at "THE OLD BATHS ,PARKGATE" near neston on the wirral .

the high spring tide is due to hit at approx 11-42 am and is scheduled for a height of 9.9mtrs or 32.5 feet if the air pressure and wind are right on the day it could ? flood the whole marsh right up to the sea wall ,which in turn causes all the mice ,voles and other wildlife to make a run for dry land where the birds of prey are usually waiting for them ,NOTHING IS HOWEVER GUARENTEED .

past close sightings have included kestrels ,buzzards ,s.e.o,barn owls ,marsh and hen harriers,peregrines ,hobbys,merlins in other words the whole works ,also foxes and hares etc .

if you intend to go due to the sheer amount of people that attend arrival is advised extremely early i.e i would suggest no later than 9.30 a.m
    a couple of shots from previous high tide events
    the soggy fox by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

kestrel and vole (EXPLORED) by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
    Last edited by the black fox; 06-09-2014, 10:27.

Re: high tide on dee estuary weds 10th sept

Jeff, thanks for letting us know. I am not very sure as I am going away on the 13th. However, if I am coming, I will make my own way there.
    Bit of a hectic week for me, next week!
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-09-2014, 12:17.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

A friend's aunt lives in Parkgate and we've stayed with her a couple of times en-route to the IOM TT and I find the place fascinating; a sea of green vegetation right up to the wharf where ships once docked seems incongruous but is, somehow, quite wonderful.

The sunsets are sublime:

IMG_1961_DPP-01.jpg

IMG_1967_DPP-01.jpg

and, afterwards you can retreat to the excellent Harp Inn:

IMG_1970_DPP-01.jpg

I only wish I could join you

Cheers,
      John

Comment

on dec 6th last year john the tide came up to the signs beside the door ,and on the jan ,feb,and march tides you couldn't get there due to the access road being 3 or 4 foot under water .a sign of things to come .the high spring tides cover that entire marsh and the sea once again laps the sea wall at park gate shown in your first pic

btw i live right opposite this on the welsh side of the estuary

a short vid on u-tube of dec 6th at west kirby ,if you google the date and place theres even better longer versions
        South Parade, near Coronation Gardens, West Kirby. From the safety of our balcony!
        Last edited by the black fox; 06-09-2014, 11:06.

Comment

Jeff,is the car park mentioned the one you took us the last time, after the Hoylake spectacular?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Yes nat that's the one

Comment

Most probably you will see me there as I like these high tide events when one doesn't know what to expect! Also can try out my crop 100D + 70-200mm +1.4TC. Fingers crossed at the moment!

Comment

Would love to be there too. Only prob, its on a Wednesday, (swmbo's day off)..I may and I do mean 'may', be able to though.
                Have to wait and see. It sounds great though with the tide that high, and hopefully lots of stuff coming within lens reach as it where...
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I trust our cars are safe from the tides- in case it comes over the small wall. Perhaps,Wayne, you should bring Swambo along as well & show her something different!!
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-09-2014, 12:19.

Comment

This is a very long shot. We may, I stress MAY, be able to make it. It's only 40/60 at present. If we can get away can you provide directions as we will be coming from Blackburn and don't know the area at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
                      This is a very long shot. We may, I stress MAY, be able to make it. It's only 40/60 at present. If we can get away can you provide directions as we will be coming from Blackburn and don't know the area at all.
                      Sara, Wayne is coming from Blackburn and he has been there the last time we met. Perhaps he is your best bet. The post code is CH64 6SH. This will lead to Holywell Close where a friend of mine lives. However, Holywell close is OFF Parkgate Road and you just drive straight on (on Parkgate Road) till you come to the car park (small one) on the same road.
                      Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-09-2014, 12:55.

Comment

Nat, thanks for that but it will be very much a last minute decision so we had better not make arrangements with other members that we may not be able to keep.
                        Our mutual friend may want to go on this. I'll drop him a line - I don't think he comes on here much nowadays.
                        Regards

Sara W.

Comment

If you come along the m56 you will need to come off and head towards neston on the Wirral, from there drop down to parkgate ,follow the road along the front with the marsh on your left ,at the end there is the boat house pub ,go along the track across the front of this and the car park is at the end ..
                          I have a bright light blue metallic citroen piccasso ,hopefully will be in the front part of the car park

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
                            Nat, thanks for that but it will be very much a last minute decision so we had better not make arrangements with other members that we may not be able to keep.
                            Our mutual friend may want to go on this. I'll drop him a line - I don't think he comes on here much nowadays.
                            Regards

Sara W.
                            Sara, our mutual good friend intends to come as well. I did inform him.
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-09-2014, 14:42.

Comment

Its still a possibility for me....
                              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X