How to use layer masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use layer masks

A few folk have asked how I created my flipped image of Ben Lomond from the other day. I'll try to explain how I did it. The method is quite simple, and really can only be applied to images that can be split with no areas crossing over into the other halves of the image. Ideally an image with a horizon line.

Open your base image in Photoshop.
    Double click the layer to convert it from a locked background layer to layer 0
    Hit CTRL + J to duplicate the layer (CMD + J on MAC)
    You should now have two layers like below.

layers.JPG

Click on the bottom layer.
    Go to Edit menu.
    Transform > Flip Horizontal

Click on top layer and hit the layer mask button (see below)

layer mask.JPG

This creates a white box next to your top layer, like this.

layermask1.JPG

Here's the fun bit

Rule: Black to reveal, white to conceal

The layer mask (white box) is white to start with. This conceals the layer below.
    Black reveals, so painting with a black brush with reveal the layer below, however, only the parts of the image you paint on.

Hit 'B' on the keyboard to highlight the Brush Tool. Hit 'D' on the keyboard to set the colour foreground/background colour picker to black and white, like below.

picker.JPG

Hitting the 'X' Key on the keyboard, you will see that the background and foreground alternate between black and white. Whatever is on the top left side is the active colour.

With black being the active colour, and using the '[' key to reduce the brush size and the ']' key to increase the brush size, paint onto the image on the lower part. You will see that the layer below starts to appear. and your layer mask icon will show black parts in it like below.

layermaskresult.JPG

This masked out area looks like this on the image.

imageresult.jpg

Changing the hardness of the brush can make the selection less harsh as seen at the horizon line. Change that setting in the brush menu like below.

brushhardness.JPG

It's worth having a play about with it to fine tune, however, that's the essence of how it's done. Layer masking is not limited to just this. You can use it on adjustment layers too. If you want to work on adding a lot of saturation or contrast to a certain part of the image, you create the adjustment layer and edit it accordingly. However, on the white layer mask hit CTRL + I to invert the mask. It returns your image to the non edited state, however, with a white brush, you can paint in the adjusted effect more locally.

The possibilities are pretty wide for this type of thing, and it's non destructive. If you don't like the effect, just paint in white or black to remove it, or delete the layer mask.

Hope that helps folk out. :)

Paul
    Last edited by Paulstw; 10-09-2014, 09:29.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: How to use layer masks

excellent posting and many thanks Paul

I'm into my 4th week of learning PS CC and its bloody confusing ;o) ... fancy 2 weeks in the sun, accommodation is free, putting up with a thick amateur photographer will test your patience ;o) ... thinking about it better make that a month in the sun

I've just renewed my Lynda account so another month of watching vids
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'd just watch Phlearn videos on Youtube to be honest. He has a good knack of repeating a lot of things in his videos so you get the hang of it. His use of adjustment layers, colour correction and just making images pop are probably the best on there. It's all about seeing how someone edits an image and then seeing how you can apply that to your images. It's only once you watch loads of stuff do you then realise how to fix things, but it's a constant learning environment, and one you need to keep doing because you lose the skill if not doing it often enough.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I watched a few of his videos when I first installed PS but found them a little over my head. I've bookmarked them and will give them another viewing as your not the only one to mention him
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Paul ..it makes more sense now ... Cheers Pal.
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Great tutorial Paul. Nice one!
            Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Excellent info and explanation Paul, thanks.
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
              X