Photoshop advice – tiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop advice – tiling

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on this.

I want to produce a large ‘tiled’ print to go on a wall. Each panel will be A3. Changing images/canvas sizes so the overall dimension of the large print divides into A3 is not a problem but I am not sure the best way to cut the image into ‘tiles’ to print each one off as A3.

I can specify a crop size and manually divide the image up, one crop at a time, but that is a bit fiddly and was wondering if anyone has done this before and can advise on a better way of doing it.

Thanks

- Tony
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Re: Photoshop advice – tiling

Photoshop has a photomerge tool. Open Photoshop and Go into File > Automate > photomerge. An option box will appear. Browse to your files and I always just accept the defaults.

Once it's finished doing it's thing right click a layer and flatten image. It'll save a heap of RAM :)
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks!

- Tony
      - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Hi Paul, I just had a look at that and it is the function I've used before to make panoramas. In this insistence I want to take an image, size it accordingly and divide it into sections (all A3) and then print each one separately. Each print (or section) will then be mounted on a wall with a small gap in between.

- Tony
        - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I've seen this on printing sites Tony, I assume your looking at printing yourself rather sending for print?
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
            Hi Paul, I just had a look at that and it is the function I've used before to make panoramas. In this insistence I want to take an image, size it accordingly and divide it into sections (all A3) and then print each one separately. Each print (or section) will then be mounted on a wall with a small gap in between.

- Tony
            So in essence then you are looking at producing a Triptych as three individual prints.
            David

Comment

Yes - I want to do it myself. The images will end up as aluminium panels.

- Tony
              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Yes - I want to do it myself. The images will end up as aluminium panels.

- Tony
                If you struggle to sort it yourself I know these guys offer a service

We print your photos on high-quality canvas ⭐ Up to 60% Off ⚡ Display your favourite moments on the wall with a photo canvas print and enjoy them forever.
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  So in essence then you are looking at producing a Triptych as three individual prints.
                  Yes David, but I want to split the image into twelve panels not three. I can perform twelve individual (fiddly) crops - I just wondered if anyone else had done this before in Photoshop.
                  - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    If you struggle to sort it yourself I know these guys offer a service

http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/wall-...-canvas-prints
                    Thanks Ian but I want to do it myself.

- Tony
                    - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

The only way I could think of doing it would be to use the guide lines to mark out the individual sections and then select each section and cut to new layer you would then end up with 12 seperate layers when all are on you would see the entire image. Sorry if this isn't much help.
                      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                      Facebook
                      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
                        The only way I could think of doing it would be to use the guide lines to mark out the individual sections and then select each section and cut to new layer you would then end up with 12 seperate layers when all are on you would see the entire image. Sorry if this isn't much help.
                        Thanks for that Paul - I'll investigate.

- Tony
                        - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Might be a little late, but there is a tutorial on this by Marrutt on YouTube. There is a link on their pages somewhere
                          Paul

Comment

Check out OnOne PerfectPhoto Suite - their Perfect Batch does this - you only need to input the dimensions you want and it does it all for you. Output to .psd so you can print from photoshop. They do a fully functional 30 day trial.

I was playing with it yesterday - only issue was trying to get spot on alignment as I wanted to do a larger print made up of four A4 pages. I know this is a printer issue, you should avoid this by separating the images.

Peter
                            Last edited by Petros; 27-09-2014, 10:06.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on this.

I want to produce a large ‘tiled’ print to go on a wall. Each panel will be A3. Changing images/canvas sizes so the overall dimension of the large print divides into A3 is not a problem but I am not sure the best way to cut the image into ‘tiles’ to print each one off as A3.

I can specify a crop size and manually divide the image up, one crop at a time, but that is a bit fiddly and was wondering if anyone has done this before and can advise on a better way of doing it.

Thanks

- Tony

For those PS users that might be interested I eventually did the tiling exercise using the slicing option and gridlines. It was a bit fiddly but the image is now on the wall. The actually size is approx. 1100mm wide. A quick shot of the wall mounted result is below. Please ignore the flash and other reflections.

Pier - tiled and wall mounted-2630 by tonyhawkins600,

on Flickr

- Tony
                              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X