Skomer Puffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skomer Puffins

Went to Skomer a couple of weeks ago to photograph the puffins. They dont seem to be coming in with beakfulls of fish at the moment but they are bringing in nesting material as the third shot shows. All with 7D, 300f4, 1/1600, f4, ISO 400
    WDYT

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Skomer Puffins

Nicely done Stan.

I like number three the best, you wonder how those fat little bodies can fly on those stubby little wings. Mid June - early July is best when they are busy feeding the chicks. The chicks will fledge late July and most will be gone early August.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Cheers Colin
      you wonder how those fat little bodies can fly on those stubby little wings
      but fly they do and pretty fast - the 7D with converter and 300f4 wouldnt lock on fast enough so had to use just the 300 and resort to a little cropping
      Mid June - early July is best when they are busy feeding the chicks. The chicks will fledge late July and most will be gone early August.
      we were htere in late July last year so that would explain the lack of fishy images then as well

Stan

flickr

Comment

I was at Skomer last year, and didn't realise these little fellers could fly so fast, you have done well to capture them so sharp, really good set stan.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Gear-down... air-brakes deployed... cracking shots... Skomer is another place high on my list of TODOs whenever I can get myself retired... This damned work stuff just interferes too much !
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Cheers Guys
            Skomer is another place high on my list of TODOs
            It certainly is a great place but getting over is very weather dependant. We had planned to visit on the Tuesday but the wind was in the wrong direction and the boad did not rund until the next day

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
            X