Canon 6D focus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 6D focus points

I generally use the centre focus point for most of my pictures. Is there anyway I could activate all the 9 focus points to operate at the same time (i.e they all light up) so that I get everything in focus?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon 6D focus points

Not sure about the 6d but it should be a simple case of touching the outer of your three buttons top right then pressing the set button in the control wheels .that's how most canons operate. If you activate your focus points with the outer button you should be able to move the your single point anywhere on the screen or as you ask use all the points simply by touching and/or scrolling the main control wheel nat .whether this actually gets everything in focus is debateable as you will need a small aperture to override Bokah
    Last edited by the black fox; 16-09-2014, 07:50.

Comment

You'd effectively be telling the camera to guess what you want to focus on. If a BIF happens to swing by and you track it, the camera might get confused by the BG or something. I never let the camera guess, it's a wee bit silly when it does :) Centre focus point on the 6D is a cross type and the other aren't so you're already using the best one.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Nat; the short answer is NO; you can't have all focal points fully active and achieving focus at the same time across the image. That's not how the system works. A lens/camera can only achieve a 'true' sharp focus on one point at any one time; all else comes into the realms of 'acceptable range of focus'. I.e where you can't really see any loss of sharpness across the image. To do what you want the lens/body combo would need to be able to set multiple points of sharp focus; that would mean multiple focal lengths set on the lens. When you see multiple focal points lit, if you're using the auto point focus, it's only due to those points all being in the same plane... HTH... Cheers; Lee
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks folks for your very good advice. I will stick to my centre point focus without messing around!
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Is there anyway I could activate all the 9 focus points to operate at the same time (i.e they all light up) so that I get everything in focus?
            why would you want to do that - as said the camera will just focus on the rearest object not necessarily there you want

I will stick to my centre point focus without messing around!
            With most images where you have a "subject", that is the area where you need to focus and in the case of wildlife and portraits your focus should be on the eye. If you just use the centre focus point then you are likly to have to either recompose or crop later to achieve a pleasing composition. However if you use one of the alternative focus points you can achieve your composition in camera. For landscapes the general rule is to focus 1/3 into the scene for maximum front to back sharpness so again you can choose a focus point as appropriate.

My 7D has 19 points, each of which is used according to the above and am really looking forward to the extra flexibility the 63 points on the new 7D II will offer

Your 6D has 11 focus points so my advice would be to use them creatively

Stan
            Last edited by Stan; 17-09-2014, 20:51.
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. What I should have said is that I use the centre focus point most times but I also change the point of focus for say landscapes.

Comment

I've always used only the central AF point; I find it the easiest option. I have metering set to Centre-weighted so that I can focus, recompose & the metering will meter the new composition whereas with evaluative it's locked when you focus...
                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I have got over the "hump" and everything is working fine with my 6D. Thanks for all your advice.

Comment

When I started using back button focusing a natural extension of this was that I started finding it easier to change the selected focus area and point on the go.
                    Its given me better flexibility and once I was used to its pretty quick.

Obviously its still not always possible if scenes or events are happening very quickly, but it is a useful option.
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      My 7D has 19 points, each of which is used according to the above and am really looking forward to the extra flexibility the 63 points on the new 7D II will offer

Stan
                      i just hope it works as well as it sounds stan .the one thing i love on my 1D3 is the ring of fire a/f used in conjuction with BBF .as long as the background is clean i.e sky theres not much it misses and seems to predict the right focus point every time ,if what i see of canons new type a/f on the 70d is anything to go by there on a winner ..

and i will be looking at the results from the 7d2 very carefully .the only thing that bothers us is the noise handling ,only time will tell on that one once its out there

Comment

and i will be looking at the results from the 7d2 very carefully .the only thing that bothers us is the noise handling ,only time will tell on that one once its out there
                        the 7D was very poor and the only reason I sold it, the Mk 2 is going to have to offer something on par with 6D or better, if not its going to be a tad poor show from Canon
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          the 7D was very poor and the only reason I sold it, the Mk 2 is going to have to offer something on par with 6D or better, if not its going to be a tad poor show from Canon
                          I sold my 7D because it didn't cut mustard. I replaced it a 1Ds3 and then the 1DX
                          ef-r

Comment

As an aside, in the movie camera world a camera has been developed that will allow you to make focus decisions, and dof decisions, in post!

Admittedly this camera is 6 foot long and costs 100k just to hire it, but eventually I think this type of technology could be adopted in the EOS 5dmk xvi.

EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Working...
                            X