DPP to Lightroom workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP to Lightroom workflow

I was an Aperture user but am now switching to Lightroom. I'm trying to get my workflow nailed and I'm wondering how DPP fits into the process.

I've never used DPP before and I'm curious about DLO, noise reduction, dust removal and any other benefits there might be, if any.

Here's my initial thoughts so far:

Set up folders on Mac
    Import RAW images to folders using EOS utility
    Initial edit of images - DLO, NR, etc.
    Save images as 16 bit TIFFs

Open up Lightroom and complete the rest of the editing process there.

Anyone using a workflow like this or is it much easier to just do everything in Lightroom?
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: DPP to Lightroom workflow

I don't use DPP at all, I simply put the card into the reader and let LR pull the images straight off and into the folder

I find LR offers everything I need so don't bother with DPP, in fact don't even have it installed as I don't see the point
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      I don't use DPP at all, I simply put the card into the reader and let LR pull the images straight off and into the folder

I find LR offers everything I need so don't bother with DPP, in fact don't even have it installed as I don't see the point
      I agree. Since installing LR, I trust it to copy all my RAW's from my card-reader into the folder structure, and process from there. LR also contains all the DLO optics for your glass too (Canon or otherwise), so there is no need to use DPP anymore. I used to use DPP a lot, until I started using LR.
      I would also highly recommend the using DxO Optics with LR. With the new DxO LR plug-in, the two work together beautifully, and IMHO processing using DxO is both easier and better :)
      1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I use EOS Utility to import the files into dated folders specified in EOS Utility preference settings. Once imported, DPP opens, however, if I don't need to do anything quick with the images, I just close it and open lightroom. I then use the import tool and point to the imported folder. Makes for a much cleaner and lighter LR catalogue and since doing that I haven't had one single corruption.

When I used to just import to LR from the camera it barely lasted 3-4 months before my LR catalogue was corrupted. Usual signs are when the backups start failing.

If you need to rename any folders for special occasions, rename the folder before you import it to LR.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by kelly200269 View Post
          I agree. Since installing LR, I trust it to copy all my RAW's from my card-reader into the folder structure, and process from there. LR also contains all the DLO optics for your glass too (Canon or otherwise), so there is no need to use DPP anymore. I used to use DPP a lot, until I started using LR.
          I would also highly recommend the using DxO Optics with LR. With the new DxO LR plug-in, the two work together beautifully, and IMHO processing using DxO is both easier and better :)
          agree -

I've never looked at DxO Optics I'll have to check it out.. I do like the way PS and the Niks plugs in work its seamless with LR and keeps everything in one place

If I've got the time I've also started rating some photos in camera as this gets pulled in as well, it can speed up the editing process
          Last edited by Tigger; 26-09-2014, 14:14.

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I find I'm the other way to Ian and don't use LR at all, and use DPP for all of my work as I find it much easier than messing around with LR .

That said I did use LR once when covering a full day event and had to process over 3000 images in which LR worked a treat, resizing /sharpening/cropping/moving images to several different folders LR worked wonders. But as I usually shoot about 300/400 images a week DPP does a good job with the batch flow if a little slower than LR .

Paul
            Last edited by paul linton; 26-09-2014, 14:26.
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
              I find I'm the other way to Ian and don't use LR at all, and use DPP for all of my work as I find it much easier than messing around with LR .

That said I did used LR once when covering a full day event and had to process over 3000 images in which LR worked a treat, resizing /sharpening/cropping/moving images to several different folders LR worked wonders. But as I usually shoot about 300/400 images a week DPP does a good job with the batch flow if a little slower than LR .

Paul
              I was the same Paul, but I was getting concerned that I was building up thousands of photos with no easy way to find them and after seeing a demo of the search & file features with LR I was sold - Once I started using it I drifted away from DPP and when moving to Mac ( what a headache!! ) never installed DPP onto the Mac

Comment

I think a big boon of LR is the Catalog function, which will organise and provide a link to ALL of your images on your PC. The problem I find is that if you don't use LR, at least initially to import to the Catalog, when you want to use it later in LR you will have to import individual images. Also, if you move a file 'out' of LR, it loses the link to that image in LR.
                The Catalog is a truly undersold function of LR, IMO.
                1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                  I use EOS Utility to import the files into dated folders specified in EOS Utility preference settings. Once imported, DPP opens, however, if I don't need to do anything quick with the images, I just close it and open lightroom. I then use the import tool and point to the imported folder. Makes for a much cleaner and lighter LR catalogue and since doing that I haven't had one single corruption.
                  I definitely want to have my own folder structure outside of Lightroom just in disappears as Aperture is doing. I'm all for keeping my workflow leaner and cleaner! I think I'll ditch the DPP step for now then.

Is everyone storing their catalogues on an external hard drive? After filling up my 1TB Macbook this is my plan, at least for my paid photography.

As for plug ins, I really like the look of the VSCO film emulations. Anyone using them with Lightroom?
                  Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Personally, my library is currently on my laptop, backed up to cloud and copied to an external hard drive. Over cautious I know but I like it.
                    Andy
                    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by lone pilgrim View Post
                      I definitely want to have my own folder structure outside of Lightroom just in disappears as Aperture is doing. I'm all for keeping my workflow leaner and cleaner! I think I'll ditch the DPP step for now then.

Is everyone storing their catalogues on an external hard drive? After filling up my 1TB Macbook this is my plan, at least for my paid photography.

As for plug ins, I really like the look of the VSCO film emulations. Anyone using them with Lightroom?
                      you can have your own folder with LR, just make sure if you keep LR updated if you move or change folders and your far better off doing these changes within LR as otherwise you'll have ?? popping up on your images as LR won't know where they are

I back up my HD once a day, then weekly do a second back up to another drive and once a month another ....yes I'm paranoid

Not looked at VSCO I'll have to check that out - cheers

Comment

My library is a mess You IT guys would have a hairy fit if you saw my "organisational skills"! If I could just hand over my laptop to someone to setup for me and then tell me what to do from now on, I'd be happy. I don't understand what goes on inside computers and fear the day I need to find something! The only thing I do that I think you would approve of is to copy the importing files onto an external HD at the same time as importing into LR.
                        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                          Personally, my library is currently on my laptop, backed up to cloud and copied to an external hard drive. Over cautious I know but I like it.
                          I am not sure you can be too cautious!
                          You are only too cautious up to the point something goes wrong.
                          Andy
                          Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                            I am not sure you can be too cautious!
                            You are only too cautious up to the point something goes wrong.
                            agree after having a HD die on me many years ago you can never have too many backups

Comment

I think I'm okay with backups. Time Machine runs daily, and I also backup to an external drive at least weekly. I don't format the cards until there are at least 3 copies in existence. The only thing I'd like to add is some sort of cloud backup but I'm hanging on for Yosemite and the new photos app to see if that is an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X