Catalonia is NOT Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalonia is NOT Spain

I don't normally take people images but while on holiday in Barcelona we eventually realised something big was going on - on our first full day out in the streets. Not just the Catalonian National Day but also a huge demonstration in support of independence for Catalonia from Spain. We don't understand Spanish to have picked up the details from the news but we saw the people on the street and I later read there were 1.8 million of them filling 11Km of highway on 2 of the main avenues in Barcelona which formed a V. An amazing sight and it wasn't until we saw the pictures from the air we realised how well it had been organised - everyone was wearing either a red OR yellow T-shirt and they were so arranged on the ground that from the air it looked like a giant Catelan flag. This was 1 week prior to the Scottish Referedum and there were a few Scottish flags being displayed, which I understood, but also a few flags of St George, which I didn't, until we realised St George is also the patron saint of Catlonia (hence the badge for the Barca football team).

There is more information about this event at this link.

Anyway I took a few shots and these are the pick of the bunch. So it seems I still haven't been to Spain

Street demo
    Catelonia is NOT Spain by anderson.council, on Flickr

Catalan Flags everywhere
    Catelonia National Day by anderson.council, on Flickr

I guess these guys are serious
    Exit stage left ? by anderson.council, on Flickr
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: Catalonia is NOT Spain

nice Scott I really like the first one, well taken

I saw the street scenes from the air on Spanish TV and it was amazing ....could you image that happening when Scotland were trying
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian.

Hard to say as, although I am Scottish I haven't lived there since the mid-80s when I moved south for work and so I didn't have a vote. Having said that I don't think I saw any news clips showing the same passion and in the numbers that were out on the streets of Barcelona on 11th September 2014.
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

they do know how to put a good show on Scott ;o) -
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nice set Scott.

Tom

Comment

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

[ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Thanks Tom, Nat and Wayne.
                Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Good set, really tells the story.
                  Andy

Comment

I should have mentioned that the series tells it's own story without any words. Ditto with Andy.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                    X