DPP Convert and Save errors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP Convert and Save errors...

I'm presently using DPP (v3.14.15.0) to polish the images of our 'wedding of the year' collected from a variety of sources. Those shot using either my 7D as RAW, my G10, a Pentax Optio 550 and Panasonic DNC-SZ3 as jpegs all 'Convert and Save' (as jpegs) without trouble.

About 25%, however, of jpegs shot on a Nikon D3200 result in 'Encoding failed' errors with attempts to C&S in the alternative formats also failing.

Has anyone experienced this before and can shed light on what the cause is?

I do have Lightroom now but faced with a need to turn around these images quickly for a waiting audience of family and friends is not the time to commence my ascent of the steep learning curve it seems to demand.

Cheers,
    John

Re: DPP Convert and Save errors...

I can't help you with DPP error John, but with LR you can batch process and so long images were taken at the same time you could process these quickly -

Sorry I can't help with your DPP problems
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I'm finding I need to review each image in turn to crop, adjust varying light levels and, occasionally, stamp out distracting features so batch processing doesn't really lend itself to this - in any event DPP also provides batch processing but I can't tell how it compares with LR.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I may have answered my own question but still need help.

Suspecting the files may me corrupt even though displaying correctly I subjected one of them to an online jpeg repair site. The output from the 'repair' loaded into DPP which then converted and saved it without error. However, the repaired image has an intrusive banner across it and it will cost to remove it.

So, can anyone suggest a free jpeg checker/repair tool please?

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Have you actually tried opening them in any other program other than DPP - just to confirm that the jpg does require "repairing" rather than it be a problem with just Canons DPP reading Nikons conversion to JPG?

A quick google for free jpg repair revealed these: http://www.jihosoft.com/free-utiliti...pair-tool.html
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Oh yes they open in other graphics programs it's only when I've made processing changes in DPP that it throws up an error on saving.
            Thanks for the links, I'm sure one of them will provide a cure.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Have you considered doing file save as in one of the other programs then trying that saved as file in DPP. Might save installing strange / unknown software.
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
              [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Working...
              X