Syncing Lightroom between Mac & MacBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing Lightroom between Mac & MacBook

I'm thinking about buying a Macbook pro and was wondering just how well the syncing works and basically what it does? I've looked on Adobe TV and can't find anything about the features and what its limits are

I presume I can edit photos, download them from my camera onto the laptop then plug the Macbook into the Mac and it syncs??
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: Syncing Lightroom between Mac & MacBook

I've done a little research and it seems the only way is by using Dropbox and a few have posted it slows LR down - I really thought syncing two Macs using LR would be easier than this

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

The problem is that as I understand it, it's all file-based - catalogs and pictures. The only way to share these between two machines is to have them on external storage and possibly the most flexible way to do this is on dropbox. Unfortunately this means that your shared files can only be accessed at the speed of the internet which is why it's slow.

You can share these files directly between the two macs - look here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549?v...S&locale=en_US - but this would mean that in order to share the files you'd need to be on the same wired or wireless network. I think you would also need to be careful not to have LR running on both machines at the same time as there could well be conflicts with file access. And then of course you'd not have access to the catalog while you're way from home...

I don't think there's a perfect solution that doesn't involve some risk (though if you're up to using tools like rsync) you may be able to put something together...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I don't think there's a perfect solution that doesn't involve some risk (though if you're up to using tools like rsync) you may be able to put something together...
        I agree there - I've done some more hunting around and importing the catalog seems the preferred route by many and whilst I'm not going to be doing too much editing on the laptop I can rate and tag images making the importing a little easier ....maybe

Comment

I suspect keeping the work/content on the MacBook down not a minimum is the way to go. I have around 350GB of data in an Aperture library which is heading towards being unwieldy. Sharing any or part of that over the internet would be a complete disaster.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Are there any sync programs that will sync your files on the Mac to that on the MacBook. If so, set that to sync anything in your lightroom directory (thus including database) and wherever you save your pictures to (mine are in the lightoomr catalogue).

This way then when you connect you are syncing the catalogues and the pictures as well as the .xmp files for the data relating to the changes you have made. Now really it will only need to sync the .cr2 files once as they wont change so its just copying those files. its the .xmp you want synced and the catalogue information.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
            EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
            [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I don't know what sync programs are on offer Andy.. If I'm honest I was expecting a simple button within LR to do this for me ;o) - it still seems the import / export catalog is the easiest route, but if you can find another option a beer will be in the post ;o)

I've not bought the MacBook yet as I'm waiting for the 1st November sale they have every year and I may get £100 off .... if I'm lucky

Comment

Just found this video. Hope it helps:

Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Cheers Andy that looks like a pretty detailed breakdown

Many thanks .... I just need to wait for the sales to start now and make sure I camp out to be first in the queue ( online of course )

Comment

bingo found it and its my type of process - ie simple

working across two machines, one with the main catalog and a remote machine/laptop with another copy of LR

assuming you've been away with the laptop and have taken images off the cards and processed them within LR - once home you start up LR on the laptop and in library mode highlight the folder with the images, then, file , Export as catalog, choose your destination where you can easily find the file ( the example video I watched the guy used desktop)

Then on your main iMac open LR and again in library click file, Import from another catalog and choose where to save it within LR - this will import images plus all other changes, if for some reason it doesn't go into the right section or where your filing your main images within LR just drag the folder...

From the video I watched it seems very easy and all I'll probably do is just network the MacBook with the iMac and when pulling the data over just navigate to the remote folder...

I'd like to link to it but I found this Chris Orwig video on Lynda

Comment

good old Anthony Morganti has posted up a video now ;o) ... If your doing this you'l find it very helpful

Comment

Working...
                      X