Archiving images in Lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Archiving images in Lightroom

I must apologise to my son as well...who is now 19 and doesnt sulk like he used to :)
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Andy excellent post and well illustrated, when I watched a Tim Grey video he said that he keeps his images on a separate hard drive but can still work on them when away on location without his hard drive?

Alan

Comment

Alan,

Yes - that is one I referred to earlier in this thread, however have not looked into this any further yet. I can see this thread being updated a little more yet LOL.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

I can see the benefit of running off a separate hard drive, but you would have to remember to import the various files when swapping over - is that a mistake waiting to happen ?
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
            Andy excellent post and well illustrated, when I watched a Tim Grey video he said that he keeps his images on a separate hard drive but can still work on them when away on location without his hard drive?

Alan
            Alan
            I suspect Tim is using smart previews in his Lightroom workflow which will allow him to work on those previews whilst the drive that contains his image files is disconnected. Any remote edits would then be synchronised when the separate hard drive is reconnected
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
              Alan
              I suspect Tim is using smart previews in his Lightroom workflow which will allow him to work on those previews whilst the drive that contains his image files is disconnected. Any remote edits would then be synchronised when the separate hard drive is reconnected
              Thats it - I knew it had some sort of title to it - I just hadnt read into it yet to see how it synched back to the main LR catalog but it sounds then as if its all automatic.

Ian(Tigger) - this could be your best bet for your MacBook then.
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                Thats it - I knew it had some sort of title to it - I just hadnt read into it yet to see how it synched back to the main LR catalog but it sounds then as if its all automatic.

Ian(Tigger) - this could be your best bet for your MacBook then.
                smart previews I recall on Tim's video him saying something about that but as I was trying to take in loads of other stuff it didn't stick - looks like todays homework is "Smart Previews = write a 1000 word essay on why Smart Previews are the best way to work remotely "

Cheers guys

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

no 1000 word essay, just 9 minutes 51 seconds of your time and I think you will see:

Learn about working with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic Smart Previews to view and edit images that aren't currently connected to your computer.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

cheers Andy I glanced over that video when I saw your link last night and I'll watch it better later today - sadly working today

Comment

Thanks Peter
                      Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                      Alan
                      Alan

Comment

After watching a few videos on smart previews it wasn't what I needed, that works if your only using one catalog but the main database is somewhere else, so working with images on a separate hard drive - I've found another way around working on two machines and posted details in the other thread http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...en-Mac-MacBook

Comment

Working...
                        X