Getting sharp images to post on web.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting sharp images to post on web.

I use Lightroom 5 for editing and Elements 6 to "save for web" reducing width to 800 pixels. This gives a file sizes around 200-400 kb.

I store these on Photobucket to copy into posts.

Even if the original picture is sharp the amount of degradation this produces is a lot more than other posters seem to get with a similar sized file.

What's a better way to prepare the pictures for the web?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Getting sharp images to post on web.

another LR user here - although I export straight to flickr and don't adjust size and pleased with the outcome. Have you tried just uploading the image and not compressing for web
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I've always addressed the size of the image before sharpening. Sharpening is always the last thing I do before upload.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, have to experiment a bit now.

Comment

I never use "save for web". Once I have finished editing my full sized shot, I then resize to 900 px on the longest side and if it needs further sharpening at that stage, then USM on a duplicate layer and apply a mask so that I can selectively sharpen, ie usually only the main subject. Then save as normal at either 11 or 12 quality - file size is usually up to about 4-450 kb

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

My general re-size is to 1024 pixels on the longest edge or if I have cropped it for a panorama effect multiples of that I.e 1536,2048 etc .i always sharpen as the final step after re.sizing .

The one thing that sticks out here is the Fact that skylines uses photo bucket for his support platform ,I in all honesty find them really really bad and if you join FLICKR which is a free 1tb account and use that for your uploads & downloads I think it will solve your problem

Comment

Thanks guys. Just tried some of your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X