Every penny counts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every penny counts

Recently i have decide to go though all my kit and put the one i have used in the last 6months to 1 year on one side and the the others on another side.

I was so much surprised not by seeing how much i accumulated over the years but how much is just sitting in the cupboard and collecting dust. (still have few accessories that need selling, may be flee bay)

Hence every thing which i have not used recently in the last 6 months went for sale in various places and this also gave me an opportunity to revise my kits to what i need for my type of photography and style. I have so upgraded one of my lens and others just gone with out replacing and raised some cash.

It worked out well and raised enough to go for new body, leaving me with 17-40, 40mm pancake, 50mm f1.8, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100mm L IS macro, 300mm f2.8, 1.4x II and 2x III all canon.

What i learnt
    1. The depreciation for Body is too big and make a wise decision when buying
    2. "L" mostly hold the value better but not in all
    3. Third party lens lose a very big value on depreciation and do not buy unless that is the lens you want
    4. Every penny counts when selling and hence add up to bigger pot.

Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Re: Every penny counts

That's been my experience too. Anyone who says that 'L' glass holds good value is a mug. It just doesn't. Bodies are even worse. At the end of the day it's still a high value item to someone regardless of how comfortable it was for you to buy at the time. I don't believe that there's a strong second hand selling market at all. There's a strong buying market for those looking for a bargain. You just need to follow the FB groups to see that. All it takes is for more than three people to post the same thing for sale and it's a bidding war.

My advice to anyone is buy what you need and not what others are using.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
      That's been my experience too. Anyone who says that 'L' glass holds good value is a mug. It just doesn't. Bodies are even worse. At the end of the day it's still a high value item to someone regardless of how comfortable it was for you to buy at the time. I don't believe that there's a strong second hand selling market at all. There's a strong buying market for those looking for a bargain. You just need to follow the FB groups to see that. All it takes is for more than three people to post the same thing for sale and it's a bidding war.

My advice to anyone is buy what you need and not what others are using.
      You are very true Paul, sometimes we all learn by hard way....:)
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

I have always maintained this wisdom albeit rather late in life; but now I only have got what I need for my photography and nothing else. When I find that I don't use something for any length of time, I sell it before it is too late and the price drops further. I must disagree with PaulSTW re L glass. I find that it holds it's value much more than other lenses. In the end, one MUST expect a price decrease just like buying a new car, but the question must always be "by how much"!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat when I first started buying 'L' glass folk would say that I could expect to see little loss on resale.

70-200 2.8 MKII - Bought for £1600, sold for £1200 after 4 weeks of trying
          400mm f/5.6 - Bought for £915, sold for £700, then had to pay £70 Ebay fees. (after three relistings)

I should never have sold that 2.8, it was a gunner and a half.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nat when I first started buying 'L' glass folk would say that I could expect to see little loss on resale.

400mm f/5.6 - Bought for £915, sold for £700, then had to pay £70 Ebay fees. (after three relistings)

Paul, i think it is because there are too many people changing gear too often and plenty of seconds coming up the market driving the price down.
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

Unless you want a 1D series camera lol or a 2.8 tele :)
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

I've yet to make a loss reselling L glass, never buy from new! Bodies are a different matter...

Comment

I bought my L lens 300mmf4 IS USM for £749 (second hand,mint) and sold it for £850!
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                  X