Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

I've finally started using Lightroom (v4.4 as my PC is Vista) because the Nikon shot jpegs I'm trying to process were generating far too many Convert and Save errors in DPP.

While I seem to be getting a higher success rate with LR than I was with DPP I'm still being frustrated by an occasional 'not enough memory (1)' error on Export.

It's not hard-drive space as I'm exporting to a new 4tb drive and, with LR the only application running on my 4gb PC, I can't see it's a RAM shortage either. Furthermore there also seems to be no pattern to it as LR is processing some images DPP rejected yet itself is rejecting some images DPP was happy with.

Very confused

Cheers,
    John

Re: Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

How much Ram do you have John ? Also is this on exporting single images or batches? I'm on LR 5 and so far I've not had any problems, but i do remember reading something about LR4 being a little buggy and we know Vista isn't great and a bit of a resource hog -
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hi Ian,

I have 4gb of RAM in a quad core 2.3mhz PC and am exporting each image as I process them. Adding more RAM is high on the list but I've been too busy of late to contemplate it. I haven't even had time to use my camera in over two weeks

What is perplexing me is that I was having trouble with this set of images in DPP - except not necessarily the same images - hence trying to use LR now (before I'm really ready as I'm yet to finish watching all the tutorials).

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I would say your RAM is the problem and with it being so cheap I would double it - I don't think vista is probably helping though, you can see why Windows updated it so quickly

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Usually this is to do with there not being enough Virtual Memory. I had this issue a while back and it was because I had a custom set. Changed it to system managed size and it fixed it. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have, your system will always used Virtual memory for something.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I too think it will be RAM. I use LR on a machine with 8Gb and have no problems. I also have a machine with 4Gb and get the problems you are describing. Closing and restarting LR usually does the trick on the 4Gb machine.

- Tony
            - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
              I too think it will be RAM. I use LR on a machine with 8Gb and have no problems. I also have a machine with 4Gb and get the problems you are describing. Closing and restarting LR usually does the trick on the 4Gb machine.

- Tony
              Agree Tony, especially with V4 as i don't think that managed data as well as V5 - Time to get down to PC world John

Comment

PC World! Have a bit of an aversion to the place when I see the prices they charge for everyday items.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                  PC World! Have a bit of an aversion to the place when I see the prices they charge for everyday items.
                  sorry been out of the loop for 8 yrs - try your local PC shop

Comment

You could just quite every other program you're using in the short term. LR is a serious RAM hog and even in my Mac with 16GB it's pushing it with LR and PS open. LR is a nuisance bit of software when you start getting bother with it.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

ditch it and buy a i-mac save yourself a lot of hassle and upgrade money long term

Comment

Agree

Right now I've got LR / PS / DW / FW and some big excel files running and on 8gb and its running no problems

Comment

Since I switched to Apple from Windeez I never get issues. Just plain sailing. (touch wood) I can't say the same for the windows 7 clients we have at work. Nightmare.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Not had any issues with my Win8 machine, i7 3.4GHz and 16gb ram.

LR was a bit of a dog on my Win7 machine largely due to only 4gb ram. It ran OK, no errors, but was slow.
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll upgrade the RAM ASAP but meantime have extended the Virtual Memory, shut down everything not essential and even gone through the Startup programs to see what clag gets loaded automatically and disabled those too.

Re the RAM upgrade the 4gb presently installed consists of 2 x 2gb modules. I think there are four slots so can I mix 4gb modules with the existing 2gb ones? (ISTR that mixing different sizes never used to be possible).

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X