Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

I would upgrade with 2 4gb cards if it was me John.. Could be worthwhile reading up but I think that will run faster
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I would also check the max RAM Vista can handle. On my Win7 machine the max is 8GB, any more than that it won't recognise.
      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Will depend if the OS is 32 or 64 bit.

IIRC 32 bit Vista was 3GB
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I'm running at 32bit and have 4gb but good points made about max so I'll check that.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Yeah 32 bit max 4Gb and Windows reserves a lot of that. As I said in my earlier post, let the system manage the paging file to allow more of the hard drive space to be used as RAM. :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paul, thanks for the advice.

That's a pain if I can't increase past 32gb I suppose my options are go 64bit (but doubt I can do that now), Install a later version of Windows, buy a new PC or... stop using LR and return to DPP until I have the time available to dedicate to the problem - this is not something I can resolve by stealing a few minutes here and a few minutes there as the likelihood of cocking it up is too great. Abandoning LR after the brief time spent with LR today would be a real pity as it has me hooked.

What I did to the PC was change Virtual Memory from the 'Initial' and 'Maximum' sizes of 4200mb each to the recommended Initial of 4987 and a Maximum of 10000. I'm not exactly awash with spare capacity on my System drive (C:) as it's choked up with photographs and down to 31gb. I have recently installed a 4tb external drive which will be dedicated to photographs and, while I have transferred them, haven’t bit the bullet and deleted them from C: so have some maintenance to do first.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Hmm, storing all your photographs on one drive is possibly a risk. If it fails then it could be a total loss. Should always have a backup i.e. second drive that gets copy of stuff on the first. You'd be massively unlucky to have 2 drives fail at same time.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                  Hi Paul, thanks for the advice.

That's a pain if I can't increase past 32gb I suppose my options are go 64bit (but doubt I can do that now), Install a later version of Windows, buy a new PC or... stop using LR and return to DPP until I have the time available to dedicate to the problem - this is not something I can resolve by stealing a few minutes here and a few minutes there as the likelihood of cocking it up is too great. Abandoning LR after the brief time spent with LR today would be a real pity as it has me hooked.
                  it would be a great shame to stop using LR as its very good - if your on a 32bit Vista then your already at max RAM and your only option is to upgrade, which TBH is what I would do along with dropping two new 4gb cards into the board and that will make LR zip along - your current memory I would through out once upgrading

Storing all your images on a large external drive is a good move and probably what the vast amount of people do, just make sure you have another one to back it up

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                  Hmm, storing all your photographs on one drive is possibly a risk. If it fails then it could be a total loss. Should always have a backup i.e. second drive that gets copy of stuff on the first. You'd be massively unlucky to have 2 drives fail at same time.
                  agree I have backups you never know when that drive is going to fail

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I'd advise against messing with VM paging file sizes, What I do advise is to move it to another drive. Get a cheap SSD drive, plug it in then move your paging file to that drive. It'll speed things up and you wont need to reinstall windows in the short term.

If funds allow later, by a Hybrid SSD drive, 1TB is under £100. Get a Technicians copy of Windows 7 off Ebay (under £50) making sure it's 64Bit and install it on the hybrid drive. The technicians copy will bind itself to the serial code of the motherboard so it can't be installed again on anything else, but it's worth it cause it's cheaper.

Then you'll be able to upgrade the RAM and get better use out of your machine. You're only as fast as your slowest component and in your case, you can upgrade them.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Paul, that's an interesting approach and worthy of serious consideration. I have been wondering if a SSD would be of use in speeding up a PC but sizes in the past seemed too small for a full Windows installation (although they are getting bigger and prices are falling).

A Hybrid drive, however, seems to overcome the present size limitations of pure SSDs and a quick look at a video on Seagate's website show the approach is to clone the old boot drive onto the new Hybrid thereby overcoming addressing difficulties of software installed on a drive that will cease to be C:

So far so good and something well within my abilities. Installing Windows 7 may need a bit more consideration as I've never changed an operating system before although I assume it will be wizard led.

Oh, a thought I've just had is that while I have the PC in pieces it would be a good time to replace the RAM and, until I install Windows 7 it will exceed the 4gb limit imposed by Vista. I assume the 'extra' memory will just be ignored and the PC will run well enough for me to change to Windows 7?

Another thought to take advantage of a PC expert ... my new external drive is USB3 but is plugged into a USB2 port as my PC pre-dates USB3. While USB3 drives are backwards compatible I would get far better performance by installing a USB3 card to connect it to so that's something else to do while apart. Are all USB3 cards of a muchness or do I need to give consideration to choosing one over another?

antoeknee: Quite right it would be risky and I am anal about backing-up my photos. The new external drive is in order that I can remove them from my boot drive which was, due to RAW images, nearly full - I already have them backed up on my NAS drive, another USB and an increasing amount on cloud storage

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

or you could just wait a few weeks and get Windows 10...along with all the updates and bugs that I'm sure will follow it

Comment

No need to do all that cloning. A Hybrid SSD can be bought as one drive, it has an SSD portion for fast read/write buffer times and a slower large capacity hard drive to dump too from the fast SSD portion. On MACS it has a certain name and costs a fortune.

Just buy one of those drives, Windows 7 64bit, More RAM and away you go. Windows 7 installer is so easy my 15 year daughter can do it. It's all wizard led these days. Pretty much killing off the need for folk like me with their own IT business. Hence why I got into photography lol
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                            or you could just wait a few weeks and get Windows 10...along with all the updates and bugs that I'm sure will follow it
                            "Microsoft: where the customer is the final stage in development"

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                              "Microsoft: where the customer is the final stage in development"

Cheers,
                              John
                              LOL... hence why I moved to Mac... well worth the investment

Comment

If the Hybrid becomes the boot drive will it be called C:? If so will I have difficulties accessing software installed on the old boot drive that's no longer called C:? It was that thought that led to my expectation to need to clone it.

Cheers,
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X