Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightroom 'not enough memory (1)' Error on Export

Yeah the new drive will be the C: drive and any drives added with get their own drive letter. It's more complicated because most of the software installs registry keys that are on the old drive so you'll need to reinstall all your software again. It's well worth it for the speed increase you'll get. Also have the drivers to hand on a disk just in-case the Win7 install doesn't hold them natively.

Chipset, ethernet controller, graphics, sound and LAN card drivers are the usual suspects for being left out. It's a wee bit of work but it's worth doing to save you hundreds of pounds just replacing old for new. Not just that, everything is coming with Windows 8 just now that is a disaster, and thee main reason I switched to Apple.

In my experience cloning hardly ever works unless its like for like hardware in the event of a system failure. Different Hardware Abstraction Layer so it wouldn't work very well. You can get what's called a bare metal back up but you'd be better off just re-installing windows for the hassle it would be.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Paul. Reinstalling the software is something I really, REALLY, wanted to avoid as I've played that game before and it's not nice and with this six-year-old PC having so much installed it would take me far longer than I have time this side of Christmas.

Comment

Maybe a good exercise for you think about what you actually need on a PC? I use my MAC for photo editing and watching netflix, that's it. I don't have anything else installed on it. If I want to write a word doc I use Google Docs online for it.

If you want to avoid it, then I don't see any other option but to just go out and buy a faster computer. Most towers on their own can be had really cheap, but wont come with SSD and at best a 7200rpm hard drive. You could just get a powerful tower just for LR and photo editing and leave the other one for other stuff. Bit of a nuisance really.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Paul,

I understand the limitations now and see a new PC, initially dedicated to photography but with a gradual transition to general use, the best approach. I suspect this will be possibly no more expensive than buying components to upgrade my existing one and far less troublesome than having to reinstall all the software I currently use onto a cleaned or new drive..

I have a pretty good idea of the spec I want but could use some advice on suppliers.

A left field option, if the benefits are high enough, is to buy the components and assemble it myself so any suggestions on a component supplier?

Cheers,
          John

Comment

My photo PC is used almost exclusively for photo editing. Retained my old PC for general use. So I don't have to have 2 screens, keyboards or mice I use a KVM switch. With this both PC's can be on and a switch allows toggling between them.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Dont blow all your chips on the machine. Photos can be dealt a good one by getting a top screen and calibration system too.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul: Very true and a new monitor and calibrator were next on the list of computer purchases anyway as I don't know if what I see is what everyone else sees. I just hadn't expected it to be part of a new PC system.

Antoeknee: Good and timely advice about a KVM switch as I have no desire for duplicate keyboards and mice cluttering up my desk. I knew they must be out there but didn't know what they were called – now I do so thanks.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Good idea about the KVM switch lol I use them in work but forget about them.

If you were in the habit of building computers, you can save a fortune on it. Just gather the bits online and fire them in an old case. I'd build mine before I bought one.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                  X