Mp-e 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mp-e 65

Anyone got any tips on using an MP-E 65? I'm struggling to produce much that's worth keeping.
    Dave

Re: Mp-e 65

Hi Dave,
    I've been using mine for about a year now and agree it's a very difficult lens to use. Virtually all of my shots have used flash (MT24-EX) to try and minimise camera shake and freeze any movement. I also use a very sturdy tripod!! If you're using the higher end of magnification, the DOF is virtually non-existent. I've started experimenting with DOF stacking utilities which allow you to build up a picture made of several layers of the same shot focused slightly apart. The utility then merges them all together to give a shot which has the combined DOF of all the shots. Here's some useful links I found on the WWW:-

Combine ZM - focus stacking utility

Combine ZM tutorial/discussion
    A place for macro shooters to post shots and discuss techniques and equipment. Please post only macro photos. This equates to a FOV width of about 5cms or less at the point of focus. Whilst not obligatory, please try and comment on as many pictures as you post yourself. Photos deemed non macro will be deleted from the group

MP-E 65 use

Most of my early shots were pretty naff as well but with practise I'm sure they'll get better!!
    hope this helps
    5D Mk3, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f4L IS, 100mm f2.8L Macro IS, 24mm f3.5L Tilt-Shift,
    MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro, Sigma EX DG 12-24mm f4.5-5.6

Comment

Re: Mp-e 65

Thanks for that. Wayne Schmidt's approach of building a platform to mount subject and lens makes a lot of sense. Back to the drawing board. Interesting site too!
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X