Resizing images in Photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing images in Photoshop

Hi there team…….I am currently trying to re-size images for a salon using Photoshop CS6. The requirement is for an image is 1400px by 1050px maximum. So far so good,thats not a problem as it's a pretty standard size for digital images. However this particular salon is asking for files to be a maximum of 2mb and thats where the trouble starts !
    Even allowing for unticking boxes the measurements still change in tandem with each other or the finished image is imbalanced proportionately. I have even checked in books by Scott Kelby and Martin Evening but to no avail. I'm currently stranded in mid stream so I am throwing myself on the mercy of this forum. I have done this in the past on a different subject and between you the answer was found.
    Please help this time if you can….thanks
    John Boyd

Re: Resizing images in Photoshop

Not sure exactly what your problem is so these suggestions may not be relevant. I am assuming you are working with jpegs.
    Work with a copy of the file not the original.
    If you can't resize to the exact dimensions the client wants, use the crop tool and put in the dimensions you need.
    Then check the file size. Do they want a max of 2mb when opened or max 2 mb when saved for transmission?
    If the file size you have cropped to is too large then save with a bit if compression (eg 11 out of 12) and that may well get you down to the file size you need. If still too large keep saving with more compression.
    Good luck
    David

Comment

To stop the dimensions changing in tandem, deselect the "constrained sizes" (or similar). You should then be able to resize to your requirements.
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
        To stop the dimensions changing in tandem, deselect the "constrained sizes" (or similar). You should then be able to resize to your requirements.
        Which would lead to the 'imbalanced proportions' problem the op complained of. Resize can be used to get close, as suggested, crop will nail it.
        Paul

Comment

1400 x 1050 max is the standard size for projected digital images and is the requirement for most cometitions whether they be local camera club or national. I have resized many inmages to these proportions and have never had a problem with large file size even with a quite detailed image. As an example i have just opened an image od a poppy dield which was 5184 x 3456, file size 15m. In PS go to image, image size, and in the pop up box change width to 1400. The height will change to 933 px, which is less than the max 1050 so thats fine. Click OK and save as, give the file a new name and click save. The next box that appears will give you the new file size, which in this case is 1.5m. Had it been over your 2m limit then just reduce the quality to 11

If you start off with a less detailed shot, eg, a bird against a plain sky, then the file size will be much smaller and when you resize so much smaller again

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Depends on what you want to do. You can use the Marquee tool to crop 1400x1050 pixels out of the image or the Crop tool to crop a 1400 px x 1050 px aspect ratio chunk of image and resize it to 1400 x 1050 (provided you remembered the px). (Words fail me that you can't crop a fixed size chunk of image in the "Crop" tool BTW.) You could also crop a 1400 x 1050 (no "px") aspect ratio chunk of image in Photoshop and resize it in another tool that does nicer resizing.

If you want a JPEG then use Save for Web to get the correct size.

Comment

If you crop your image in Raw using a ratio of 1.333,16 Bit, remember what colour space your using, after doing your corrections in Raw open in Photoshop and finish your processing, save as a PSD. Now go to File, and make a new document 1400 X 1050, 16 Bit, same colour space you were using. Now go to file, PLACE, find the PSD, highlite and click open, this will cover your new document 1400 X 1050, if there any of the base showing just pull the side, top, or bottom to fit, tick at top of Photoshop window, flatten image, change colour space to sRGB for web display, change bit mode to 8 Bit, save as maximun quality .jpg. This should be well under the size that your client requires. This method is very good for Camera Club competitions when using projectors.

Papa.

Comment

This should be well under the size that your client requires
                I dont think it is a client Papa, "salon" is usually just another word for a projected image photo competition

Interesting to note we have given advice but there has been no response from John

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

I should have gone slower and took more time reading the initial post correctly Stan, I expect John is getting his head round our instructions, lol

Papa.

Comment

Working...
                  X