1944 and now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1944 and now...

Having tried to re-shoot an old photo from exactly the same position I can vouch for how difficult it can be yet whoever shot these wartime images got it spot on.

Left click and it smoothly changes from 1944 to 2014 and back again. Scroll down for more images.

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/....html?ww2-dday

Cheers,
    John

Re: 1944 and now...

Great stuff.
    I looked into doing something similar in beverley getting some old photographs and then take the same image how it looks today,
    Went into the local library to see if i could use some images they have but run into the copyright issues, if the person was still alive who took the shots i would need his/her permission. or if the images were more than 75 years it allowed some flexibility.Got to the stage were it was more trouble than it was worth so never got to do any which was a shame.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

In this age we're obsessed with sharpness and detail but those pictures, might not be the best technically, but they sure do pack a punch and I'd rather look at them all day than what I'm being fed now.

I feel a great sadness looking at old photos. We don't know we're living these days.

That's actually really jarred my sense. That beach on is so haunting.
      Last edited by CanonLad; 13-11-2014, 15:34.
      I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

Originally posted by CanonLad View Post
        In this age we're obsessed with sharpness and detail but those pictures, might not be the best technically, but they sure do pack a punch and I'd rather look at them all day than what I'm being fed now.

I feel a great sadness looking at old photos. We don't know we're living these days.

That's actually really jarred my sense. That beach on is so haunting.
        I agree

Tom

Comment

I know number two. I kept looking and thinking I know that place.

Reminds me of the History shots that appeared on Facebook a bit ago. But for some reason didn't expect somewhere I'd been to pop up.

Thanks for sharing
          Attached Files
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

I am sure that Les McClean (hope I got the spelling and surname right) did something like this about 2 years ago. I am sure if members spoke to him nicely, and kindly,he will re-produce his images.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

That's really good, even the lifeboat ties up in the same place after all these years. Very good work and extremely interesting. Thanks
              for sharing that.

Comment

thats very good and really like the concept - something to think about
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                X