Magic Lantern for Canon dSLRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Lantern for Canon dSLRs

Every now and then I read articles about this software which is meant to unlock many additional features in the EOS menu system when uploaded to an EOS camera but I don't upload it as I am afraid that it will corrupt my canon operating system.

I thought that there might be a few threads on this but after a search can find none, so if anyone has information about the usefulness or safety of this software then I would grateful.

Thanks R
    Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.
    Lenses: EF 24-105 L USM, EF 70-300IS USM, EF 100-400 L IS, ISM

Re: Magic Lantern for Canon dSLRs

the forum postings I've seen are normally from people warning others off after they have screwed up there operating system by installing it

like you I looked at this but decided it wasn't worth the risk
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      the forum postings I've seen are normally from people warning others off after they have screwed up there operating system by installing it

Me too. There are a lor of warnings for this kind of software.
      With kind regards,
      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

A photo mate of mines uses it all the time with no problems at all.
        Me? I'm still a bit wary

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph View Post
          Every now and then I read articles about this software which is meant to unlock many additional features in the EOS menu system when uploaded to an EOS camera but I don't upload it as I am afraid that it will corrupt my canon operating system.

I thought that there might be a few threads on this but after a search can find none, so if anyone has information about the usefulness or safety of this software then I would grateful.

Thanks R
          I tried it on my 40D with no ill effects, but that was out of curiosity - I found that the constant need to upload the programme to and from the memory card was a bit of a nuisance (not difficult, but just something else to keep aware of) and I found that I did not have any especial use for the additional "functionality" provided. I don't doubt that there is value there for some people, but it also seems as if it is as much an intellectual exercise for the programmers as itis fulfilling any real needs. I also found that the revised menus were noticeably smaller and, for me, very difficult to read.

I suppose that the programmers use the official Canon API, as does the software available under the "Breezer" name - which seems to work well and has been recommended to me by some eminent photographers - although I have resisted that temptation after a trial download!

Martin

Comment

A friend uses it all the time on a 5D mkII without issue. He does a lot of HDR and the extra facilities in this area he finds excellent.

If you do use it make sure you keep your cards marked that have the software on. He had problems trying to use a card with the 5d software on in a 40D. IIRC he had to do a full reset on the 40D.
            --
            Colin
            http://fotos-espana.com
            http://macameraclub.com
            http://turnspain.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post

Same, here.
              I looked but decided the functions did not outweigh the risks for me.
              Andy

Comment

thanks for all your input.
                I have decided not to use Magic Lantern as I think that the hassle will outweigh the added extras

R
                Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.
                Lenses: EF 24-105 L USM, EF 70-300IS USM, EF 100-400 L IS, ISM

Comment

Out of interest, would installing 3rd party software like this on the camera not invalidate the warranty / or even stop any assistance from Canon with any issues going forward?
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                  EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                  [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                    Out of interest, would installing 3rd party software like this on the camera not invalidate the warranty / or even stop any assistance from Canon with any issues going forward?
                    Short answer is yes. That is why the advise on keeping the original OS handy to reload if you have to send the camera in

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                      As I understand it, Magic Lantern is one of those "updates" that just runs but doesn't install anything or update the actual firmware. If you look here: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq the one titled "Is it Safe?" is the key one with:

"No. Magic Lantern was created by reverse engineering an undocumented system that controls hardware. Therefore, we can't be certain that it's 100% safe.

Magic Lantern does not replace Canon code (which is stored in ROM), but it does change the settings (which are saved to a non-volatile memory). If Magic Lantern would set incorrect values for certain settings, this may cause the camera not to boot (even without ML)."

Which suggests that running the wrong version could result in some/all settings being corrupted at some point...
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Magic lantern isn't actually installed into the camera. It remains on your memory card. I have no idea what that translates to in operational terms, but it must talk to the camera's own software in some way.
                        We looked at this, especially for video purposes, but decided that the benefits were too incremental to make it worthwhile. However there are lots of stories of togs who are quite happy using it.

Comment

I did post about Magic lantern some time ago. I've used it on a 5DMk2 and 5DMk3 with no issues.
                          It doesn't use the Canon API (you wouldn't gain anything "extra" if you did), instead the developers have worked out the functionality of the original Canon code (DryOS) and written the extra functionality of the Magic Lantern code to "hook in" to the Canon code. The 2 OS's are separately loaded but "live" together once both are loaded.
                          A lot of the extra functionality is aimed at movie makers but there are quite a few extras of interest to "stills" photographers.
                          5D Mk3, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f4L IS, 100mm f2.8L Macro IS, 24mm f3.5L Tilt-Shift,
                          MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro, Sigma EX DG 12-24mm f4.5-5.6

Comment

Working...
                          X