Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Qualification

Hello,

I'm looking to do a photography course to gain a formal qualification.

Anybody know of a course I can do part time as I work full time as an IT Systems Engineer. My job sometimes takes me away at random times so attending a formal place may be a problem, but home study wouldn't be an issue.

What kind of qualifications are there these days??!!

Thanks

Lee

Re: Photography Qualification

The answer to this might be hotly debated - but here goes !
    I don't think photographic qualifications will get you anywhere. Nobody takes any notice of them whatever. If there was something that might make people look more closely at you is if you gained photographic distinction of some sort. Have a look at the Royal Photographic Society web site for information on their 3 levels of distinctions which are over a very broad range of photographic categories. Writing Fred Bloggs FRPS is going to get people more interested than Fred Bloggs Btec, Hons Degree, Cert. Photo etc. just take a look at all the good successful photographers - what qualifications do they publicise - I would guess you would find it hard to find just one, but distinctions - now that's different.
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I agree with James

Can I ask you why you want them?
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

My wife and I are both doing a BTEC Level I in Digital Photography - not so much for the qualification but for the content and the challenges. We're enjoying it!
        Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Interesting take on the FRPS - I'll have a look into that.

Why I want them? Do get some kind of formal qualification that would bolster my knowledge and provide potential clients with some kind of trust bond.

Comment

Originally posted by LSainsbury View Post
            Interesting take on the FRPS - I'll have a look into that.

Why I want them? Do get some kind of formal qualification that would bolster my knowledge and provide potential clients with some kind of trust bond.
            I do disagree that having a bit of paper will help you get clients / business - I've been working for myself for 15 yrs as a website designer and have no qualifications and have never struggled to find business - its reconmendations that wil get you business and new clients not some letters behind your name - if you think it will help you go for it, but I would offer your services for free and build REAL expereince up and hopefully get recommendations

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Jock - Is that an online course or at a proper bricks and mortar establishment?!

Comment

Jock - Is that an online course or at a proper bricks and mortar establishment?!
                It's at the local art college - they have a very good photography department and even better, some great studios! We'd never have experienced the studio work if we'd done an on-line course.
                Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Lee, I can't see that gaining photography "qualifications" will offer you anything that would further your a career in IT.

I can see some value in taking a relevant course, from a "its just something I fancy doing" aspect, and that "it might just further my knowledge", of what to most of us is just a hobby.

I did as such myself, in that a few years back, I found that my local university was going to be running a part-time degree course in astronomy (another hobby of mine). I duly signed up, successfully completed the first year, and gained the 'Credits' for it. However, the uni decided to move the second, and successive years of course to the Norwich campus, some 40 miles away. This would have meant a 80 mile round trip to attend the evening classes, for something that was just related to a hobby, so I dropped out. A shame really, as I was enjoying the course, and had the honour of being the most mature (read: OLD!! ) student on the course.

Had I completed the course, and obtained the degree, then other than personal satisfaction, it would have been about as much use to me as a 'chocolate fireguard'.

Conversely, I have a 'string' of technical qualifications that were relevant to my career, and these 'paid off' very well indeed, but in retirement, they are also about as much use to me as a 'chocolate fireguard'.

So, if obtaining some photography qualifications is something you fancy doing, and you feel that you would gain some personal satisfaction from it, while enjoying the learning process, then why not.

I'm not sure that presenting these to your IT boss, would carry much weight, when asking for a pay increase.

Dave
                  Last edited by Dave_S; 29-12-2014, 22:10. Reason: typo
                  Dave

Comment

I should have commented that from the above, it may be you are looking into becoming a professional photographer?

If so, I cant see that a photography qualification would carry as much weight with potential clients, as would a good portfolio of your work.

Having a good technical understanding, does not always equate to good skill set, at a practical level, and of course, "the proof of the pudding, is in the eating".

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                      I should have commented that from the above, it may be you are looking into becoming a professional photographer?

If so, I cant see that a photography qualification would carry as much weight with potential clients, as would a good portfolio of your work.

Having a good technical understanding, does not always equate to good skill set, at a practical level, and of course, "the proof of the pudding, is in the eating".

Dave
                      agree 100%...

Comment

I know this thread has been quiet for a long time, but I am always looking at potential courses: not for career purposes, merely to provide an underpinning to something I have done since I was five, and which I love. Has anyone come across the Open College for the Arts? They have a BA (hons) course in photography: http://www.oca.ac.uk/creative-arts-d...graphy-degree/

If I had the spare readies I would consider this for personal gratification!

Best

Richard
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

The most useful to you would be the RPS route which has already been suggested.
                          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Although new to the forum. I feel I can relate to this discussion on a personal level, which hopefully might clarify some of the issues mentioned so far. In 1996 I took up a temporary post as the Senior Photographer for a local university here in South Wales. During my three month's in post, I transformed the department into a busy and organised unit. I was able to do this, because I'd had seventeen years experience as a full time Professional Photographer behind me at that point. The job with that university was fantastic, in that there were so many varied subject matters to cover, from press, PR, internal / external publications as well as promotional material. Each day was so exciting and challenging that it made going to work a pleasure. 'Here's the relevant bit'. "I though wow, Imagine if I could get a full time post here"? When I approached my line manager, he explained that despite my years of experience, I wouldn't be considered for a full time post because I didn't have a bit of paper telling them I had formal photographic qualifications. Although I'd used my experience to turn the department around in my time there, his hands were tied. I enjoyed my time there so much, that I went to my local college and signed to acquire those qualifications which I obviously aced. As a matter of fact, my tutor on the RSA in Professional Photography course I took as part of that drive to gain qualifications, I'd actually taught, when he was first starting out. "How ludicrous is that". To cut a long story short. I Then re-approached the department heads of the university and informed them that I now held the necessary qualifications to apply for any future position that might become available. In 1999, I was taken on as the Senior Photographer for the Media Department and spent the next twelve years in that post until my retirement in 2011. So, I'm afraid 'bits of paper', do matter when it comes to certain goals in life regardless of abilities. Having said that, I would not have had the temporary job in the first place without a good portfolio to demonstrate my experience. So, your ability to produce work to a professional standard, of many different subjects, will always bring your name to the fore, but, don't expect it to open every door you'd like to walk through. Hope this helps in this discussion. Mike
                            Last edited by Ysbytymike; 17-02-2016, 12:55.
                            Mike

EOS 1D Mark III
                            1D Mark IIII
                            5D Mark II

400mm f5.6 (Canon L)
                            70-200 f2.8 (Canon L)
                            17-40 f4 (Canon L)
                            105 f2.8 Macro (Sigma)
                            50 f2.8 (Sigma)
                            50 f1.4 (Sigma)
                            1.4x

X2-580EXII
                            Pocket Wizard (1 x sender, 2 x receivers)
                            Sekonic C-500 Prodigi Colour
                            Sekonic L-758DR Digital Master

https://www.flickr.com/photos/celticviewpoint/sets/

Comment

Working...
                            X