EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography Qualification

Default Re: Photography Qualification

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
    I should have commented that from the above, it may be you are looking into becoming a professional photographer?

If so, I cant see that a photography qualification would carry as much weight with potential clients, as would a good portfolio of your work.

Having a good technical understanding, does not always equate to good skill set, at a practical level, and of course, "the proof of the pudding, is in the eating".

Dave
    agree 100%...
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

I know this thread has been quiet for a long time, but I am always looking at potential courses: not for career purposes, merely to provide an underpinning to something I have done since I was five, and which I love. Has anyone come across the Open College for the Arts? They have a BA (hons) course in photography: http://www.oca.ac.uk/creative-arts-d...graphy-degree/

If I had the spare readies I would consider this for personal gratification!

Best

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

The most useful to you would be the RPS route which has already been suggested.
    Alex

EOS 5D Mk 1V EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Although new to the forum. I feel I can relate to this discussion on a personal level, which hopefully might clarify some of the issues mentioned so far. In 1996 I took up a temporary post as the Senior Photographer for a local university here in South Wales. During my three month's in post, I transformed the department into a busy and organised unit. I was able to do this, because I'd had seventeen years experience as a full time Professional Photographer behind me at that point. The job with that university was fantastic, in that there were so many varied subject matters to cover, from press, PR, internal / external publications as well as promotional material. Each day was so exciting and challenging that it made going to work a pleasure. 'Here's the relevant bit'. "I though wow, Imagine if I could get a full time post here"? When I approached my line manager, he explained that despite my years of experience, I wouldn't be considered for a full time post because I didn't have a bit of paper telling them I had formal photographic qualifications. Although I'd used my experience to turn the department around in my time there, his hands were tied. I enjoyed my time there so much, that I went to my local college and signed to acquire those qualifications which I obviously aced. As a matter of fact, my tutor on the RSA in Professional Photography course I took as part of that drive to gain qualifications, I'd actually taught, when he was first starting out. "How ludicrous is that". To cut a long story short. I Then re-approached the department heads of the university and informed them that I now held the necessary qualifications to apply for any future position that might become available. In 1999, I was taken on as the Senior Photographer for the Media Department and spent the next twelve years in that post until my retirement in 2011. So, I'm afraid 'bits of paper', do matter when it comes to certain goals in life regardless of abilities. Having said that, I would not have had the temporary job in the first place without a good portfolio to demonstrate my experience. So, your ability to produce work to a professional standard, of many different subjects, will always bring your name to the fore, but, don't expect it to open every door you'd like to walk through. Hope this helps in this discussion. Mike
    Last edited by Ysbytymike; 17-02-2016 at 12:55.
    Mike

EOS 1D Mark III
    1D Mark IIII
    5D Mark II

400mm f5.6 (Canon L)
    70-200 f2.8 (Canon L)
    17-40 f4 (Canon L)
    105 f2.8 Macro (Sigma)
    50 f2.8 (Sigma)
    50 f1.4 (Sigma)
    1.4x

X2-580EXII
    Pocket Wizard (1 x sender, 2 x receivers)
    Sekonic C-500 Prodigi Colour
    Sekonic L-758DR Digital Master

https://www.flickr.com/photos/celticviewpoint/sets/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12