bird baths for reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bird baths for reflections

Don't know if any one can throw some advise my way about this, but made a bird bath 50cm x 50cm x 5mm deep. Needs staining I know and will be fitting bolts into the bottoms of the legs for fine adjustments (to make level) but wonder if I should make the bath deeper or 5 mm is enough and I should instead be shooting from a lower level to it.

And I know that I should really be hiding the edge better, but all will get better over time...I hope.

_MG_9750 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_9766 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_9881s by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

A bird in the hand does something or another....

_MG_9908s by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

Cheers Paul

Re: bird baths for reflections

i would suggest a bit deeper ,also paint the edges black to hide the white .also use more moss to hide the fact you have baited it possibly a rock would help to

Comment

a rock - why the hell didn't I think of that, cheers fox - all the moss did was soak the water up and drain it over the edge. having a homer session...

Will make it another 5 mm deeper, stain it and post back again.

cheers

Comment

Still nicely done Paul.

Tom

Comment

Nice idea will keep an eye on your progress
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

OK made it 25mm deep and slightly made one end longer so its 50 x 60cm now. Put some bolts in the bottom of the legs to help with fine adjustment and will be putting small spirit levels around it to help leveling.

Testing today went fine but not great, I still don't seem to be getting the reflection I want but perhaps this is more to do with the available light and backdrop - I am thinking of buying a small piece of camo netting to help with that.

Will persevere with it, perhaps those spirit levels will make a huge difference in the positioning and filling part and perhaps cleaning the interior could help get rid of all the floating bits!

I don't know yet but I may have to make it wider one side to allow for a lower angle of the lens to the water surface.

_MG_0088 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_0067 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_0093 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_0037 by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

Cheers Paul

Comment

Great set of shots here Paul.
              Luke Grayson

Camera: 7D Mark I

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130030531@N05/

Comment

It's taking shape ,you do need blue skies above for reflection shots to work though ,love the goldcrest

Comment

You have answered the problem yourself Paul, that will sort it.

I don't know yet but I may have to make it wider one side to allow for a lower angle of the lens to the water surface.

Papa.

Comment

the orange spots look to me like stain that has dropped off your brush ,can i suggest a cheap can of matt black spray paint to make it more natural ,088 and 0067 look good though

Comment

ye fox, the spots were from the wood stain, got rid of them now. And won't be widening it now, instead I plan to cut and fix on either some bark or a length of birch giving me slightly more width to play around with.

Blue sky? what that, that thing which is supposedly above the dark wet clouds! Was actually thinking of getting some false backing like scrim net in green and white, would that work?

Cheers all for feedback.

Comment

possibly if its far enough back to go into bokah it might help .placing the whole set up so its in sunlight will help best though

Comment

sunlight - is that something similar to a blue sky?

I was thinking of the netting more for my garden for an alternative to the ugly fencing and perhaps out and about...will see how it works.

Comment

It's a great idea and is coming along well. You may want to think about some perches for birds to land on before going down to the water.

Brian
                            http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

getting there I think - glued on a branch of birch, got the spirit levels in along the edges that really help and applied wide screws to bottom of legs to help with fine adjustments.

Am managing to get down to an angle of 20 degree's to the water which makes the reflections more visible just have to place it with the sun behind me next time and not in front so features in reflection are good.

dimensions are self explanatory in photo below of the bird pool I made. I feel quite satisfied with this now and will take it out and about into the wilds and not just my back garden.

diy bird bath/reflection pool by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_0433s by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

_MG_0388s by paulcarpenter2610, on Flickr

Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X