Exotic foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic foods

When I was in S.Africa only a few years ago, I stayed in my chalet (timeshare) with two of my friends. We had all our meals at the Hippopotamus restaurant. The food served,very well cooked and spiced,ranged from Hippo meat,Bush pig, Warthog, chicken, Guinnea Fowl, Buffalo,to name a few.

(i) The Hippo restaurant
    img219 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr

(ii) The exotic food.
    img220 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Exotic foods

Tasty.
    Have eaten raw zebra in South Africa, crocodile in Borneo but passed up the offer of guinea pig in Peru.
    Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Well done Chris. I have eaten Kangeroo meat in OZ. "Well done" of course.
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-01-2015, 11:37.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Had an Oryx burger in Namibia & a rather nice Fruit Bat curry in the outer Islands of the Seychelles in the days before commercial tourism invaded those beautiful isles ( and before Embola infected fruit bats !).
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I understand James, that fruit bat curry is really nice. Never tried it, although I knew that it was on the menu.

Comment

Tasted a bit like chicken - but very nice - now contaminated by Ebola virus in some areas of Africa so only eat if cooked well !
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Sounds like a very interesting menu Nat.

Tom

Comment

The Menu was changed everyday of course & the chef/s was/were really good. It needs the adventurous folk to try the various meats/dishes. I remember, when I was last in Spain- Madrid & Costa del sol, our UK friends were hankering after "fish & chips" & cooked like back in UK!

Comment

One of the ' must be done' things is that these sort of meats must be very, very well cooked. There is no control for contamination by things such as Rabies etc - so well cooked and not rare is the order of the day
                  James
                  James Boardman Woodend
                  www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I fully agree James, and that will always be a problem when one eats out esp overseas. My most recent experience was in 2013 when I went to Sri Lanka with a friend. The food is very well known to me/us but my friend contracted Salmonella poisoning and was laid out for 3-4 days.

Comment

Aaaah!! Wish I hadn't read the above.......
                      My raw Zebra - Carpaccio of Zebra, sliced almost paper thin and eaten raw - wasn't cooked. Still, as it was over 10 years ago I guess the risk has passed.....
                      Cheers, Chris.
                      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                      X