Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightroom 5 and eliminating jpeg duplicates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd been using Lightroom for quite a while before importing my images. The reason I delayed was because I wanted to tidy up as much as possible first in particular delete all the jpegs that were duplicates of the RAW images I wanted to keep - these a hangover from when I shot both jpeg and RAW.

I'm now about 60% through my 32,000 images and have discoved that I wan't as thorough as I thought and have hundreds of jpegs I no longer need.

I can 'Delete' then 'Delete from disc' individually but that will take far too long. I can identify them in Explorer and delete them outside Lightroom but how would I then remove them from the catalog? Or is there a better way?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Lightroom 5 and eliminating jpeg duplicates...

Are all the .jpgs files you want to delete.

You can sort them in LR by filetype - then find where the .jpgs start and then hold shift and select all the ones you know to be .jpgs and then press delete with them all selected - you dont have to delete individually.

If not all .jpgs are duplicate files, then what you can do is have them sorted in "capture" order and as you look through the grid hold the control key down (PC - not sure what mac equivalent is) and left click the files to select more than one file.

Another suggestion would be - if you havent started using flags yet - then when going through your files, use one of the colour codings as a "DELETE ME" option - when you are on the picture and identify it - press 9 to turn it to a blue flagged item (or whatever colour you want numbers 7 to 0 I think are colours) - when you have gone through finding all your .jpg, do a filter for that colour flag - then select all - delete.
    Last edited by Bhuna; 23-01-2015, 15:25.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sadly it's not as simple as deleting all jpegs as many date from before I shot RAW and it's even aggravated by jpeg filenames being duplicates from other cameras.

Setting colour coded flags then bulk deleting would be simpler than deleting individuals but I'd still need to inspect each image which could take some time. In Explorer I'd simply find the affected folder, sort on filetype then delete. I wonder... can I do that in Lightroom? Can I view images by folder and sort on filetype?

Cheers,
      John

Comment

How have you imported them?

You should be able to see your folders in the left hand side menu of the LR screen when in Library mode.

Another option is to filter what you can with date picture taken / type of camera - as that detail should hopefully have imported with it.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Yes, all imported.

I had a quick look at the left hand menu and I think that's the way to do it so will work on that.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

John, when you view the jpg images for each one you wish to delete press "x" ( without the quotes). Once you have gone through all of those images you can then go to the top level of your folder stack (left hand side of screen) from there you can delete all of the images you flagged (x) for deletion in one go.
            I have set up a smart collection which brings together virtual copies of all images that I flag for rejection. these appear in a separate "Collections" folder which you can then review to make sure you really don't want to retain them. However you cannot delete direct from the smart collection so you then need to the method I have described above.
            For clarity when you flag any image be it raw or jpg by using the collection approach you get the chance to review images in one place, (rather than having to go through each individual folder to find flagged images)before you finally delete them from the disk.

Here's a LINK that shows how to set up a "Delete" Smart Collection, just remember that you cannot delete direct from a smart collection.
            The link also show how to set up a smart collection that can bring together all files by type (e.g.TIFF,JPG, RAW)so it would help you with finding your jpg's IHTH.
            Last edited by ST-EOS; 26-01-2015, 19:25. Reason: Link added
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Peter,

Really sorry if it seemed I was ignoring your help here but I, ahem, missed it

Over the past few weeks I've been a bit busy and even away from home at times so have only been able to dip into the forum when time allowed the consequence being that I've missed so much.

I did reach the end of my keywording and found that by accident I'd devised a strategy that helped delete the duplicate jegs: I'd put them into different folders! All I needed to do when I found a group was to 'Go to Folder in Library' and delete them there.

Of course, it was a rapid first pass with much tidying still to do and I know not all jpeg/RAWs were so grouped so I'm finding jpeg duplicates still but I'll put your technique to work in clearing them.

Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Glad you got sorted John, I'm not sure if mentioning another forum on here allowed but....at my age to be risqué is a way of life.
                I find that the Lightroom forum to be very good wrt any issues with the software, in fact I would put it (nearly) on a parr with this one wrt great advice combined with a friendly and open set of members.
                Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thanks Peter, don't let on to anyone here but I may just have a look

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                    Glad you got sorted John, I'm not sure if mentioning another forum on here allowed but....at my age to be risqué is a way of life.
                    I find that the Lightroom forum to be very good wrt any issues with the software, in fact I would put it (nearly) on a parr with this one wrt great advice combined with a friendly and open set of members.
                    lightroom has a dedicate forum ... didn't know that, mind you everything seems to have some type of forum or social media outlet
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                      Thanks Peter, don't let on to anyone here but I may just have a look

Cheers,
                      John
                      You could search the internet for Lightroom Queen, as she (Victoria Brampton) has on her site a free to download book on Lightroom.
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                        Peter,

I did reach the end of my keywording and found that by accident I'd devised a strategy that helped delete the duplicate jegs: I'd put them into different folders! All I needed to do when I found a group was to 'Go to Folder in Library' and delete them there.
                        John
                        I'm a bit late to this topic - but I have recently had to deal with a similar problem. I found that Explorer worked well - create a subfolder for the "Duplicates", open two explorer windows, set one to the "Duplicates" folder and use the other to scroll through the affected folders. On that window have the preview pane option checked so the you can review the images in some detail, and then drag and drop the superfluous files to the other window. Still a a pain in the elbow, but it works.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                        X