Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new lens for Landscape work

Hi

I have a 70D and at the moment use my 24-70mm 2.8L for my Landscape images. However I feel this at times is not wide enough and am looking at buying a new landscape lens. Although I have a cropped sensor I usually like to buy EF lenses as my camera upgrade will probably be FF at some point.
    Looking at images posted on this forum I can see quite a few have the Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM Lens which is my first choice at the moment.

I have also looked at the Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L MKII USM Lens which is a bit pricey, and have to ask myself would I see a difference in IQ when shooting at f18 e.g

What do you think?
    EOS 70D EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM ; EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM

Re: A new lens for Landscape work

I've not used the 17-40 but own the Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L MKII which is a great lens, and especially useful in low light indoor shots as I can hand hold down to 1/15 helped by its 3way Image Stabilization ...

Your only concern is whether that lens would offer you a wide enough lens on crop! - I had the same problem as you when using a 7D so bought the 11-17 Tokina knowing that it would get sold when I traded up - I only lost £50 on the lens, but it gave me a WA that was usable rather than trying to make do till I upgraded - personally thats the route I would go
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Everything looks smaller in the frame when you go wide, so you move close to fill it, negating the requirement for the wider lens in the first place. I found this when I had the Tokina 11-16 on the 7D. Huge munros just looked like molehills in the shot and I felt the wide angle was odd to work with.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
        Everything looks smaller in the frame when you go wide, so you move close to fill it, negating the requirement for the wider lens in the first place. I found this when I had the Tokina 11-16 on the 7D. Huge munros just looked like molehills in the shot and I felt the wide angle was odd to work with.
        This is very true - the key is to use a super wide angle in a different way to a normal or standard lens. As for a lens with a crop camera - I would look at reviews on lenses with a focal length of around 10 mm or so.
        Hope this helps
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
          This is very true - the key is to use a super wide angle in a different way to a normal or standard lens. As for a lens with a crop camera - I would look at reviews on lenses with a focal length of around 10 mm or so.
          Hope this helps
          James
          agree, in fact I've been considering going wider than the 16-35 as thats still tight in some locations, although a TS-E would solve this, but its a lot of investment for a lens that would only get pulled out a few times

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I have also the 70D. The 17-40 and the 16-35 are not wide enough on a crop, so I bought the EFS 10-18, this one is wide enough for me. This one is also cheaper then the EFS 10-22.
            With kind regards,
            Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

IMHO, there is no real "landscape lens". Any lens can be used for landscape photography- even a tele lens. Most people of course use a wide angle lens for landscapes as it gives a good panoramic view of the scene. How ever one has to contend with distortion with the very wide lenses and hence I think for a FF 15mm is about my limit and for my crop I would not go below 10mm.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                IMHO, there is no real "landscape lens". Any lens can be used for landscape photography- even a tele lens. Most people of course use a wide angle lens for landscapes as it gives a good panoramic view of the scene. .
                agree Nat - but also W/A lenses do have extremely good DoF

Comment

Yes, WA lenses have very good DOF
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. However my priority is not the widest lens I can get for the price but IQ, and also wider than my 24mm. That is why I am leaning towards the EF 17-40mm f4 L USM which seems a good price for L quality. Thoughts?
                    EOS 70D EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM ; EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM

Comment

I know loads of folk who use the Samyang 14mm 2.8. It's manual focus but has a really good hyper focal distance scale on it. Absolutely vital for landscape work. If you look onhttp://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Portfolio/Top-Prints/ you'll see how good it can be. Peter uses it on a 5d Mark II and gets amazing results.

I wouldn't be put off the fact that it's only MF, it's always going to be on the tripod and if you're using hyper focal scales then AF isn't needed. Plus the lens is only a few hundred bucks. Money saved can go to a really good tripod and Asolo walking boots cause they'll be needed too lol
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        IMHO, there is no real "landscape lens". Any lens can be used for landscape photography- even a tele lens.
                        Wise words indeed. Many professional landscape photographers use telephoto lenses to compress landscapes to give a sense of scale or focus in on areas.
                        It all depends on what type of landscape you are trying to capture.

Another good lens is tilt/shift which helps ensure focus/DoF from very close to lens through to back of image.
                        I have one on my wish list, but decorating and furniture are my wife's priority for money at the moment!
                        Andy
                        Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                          Another good lens is tilt/shift which helps ensure focus/DoF from very close to lens through to back of image.
                          I have one on my wish list, but decorating and furniture are my wife's priority for money at the moment!
                          I mentioned to my wife about a TS lens and she asked how much ....I got one of THOSE looks

Comment

It depends on what you want WA for. If for interiors, especially in low light, then something like the Tokina 11-16 2.8 would be a good choice. If for landscapes then, as Paul says, it's easy to loose the sense of scale so multiple images taken with a longer lens and stitched together may provide better results. In that situation the 17-40 would be a very good choice - but you'll still find yourself wanting a wider lens in the bag. I did

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                              I know loads of folk who use the Samyang 14mm 2.8. It's manual focus but has a really good hyper focal distance scale on it. Absolutely vital for landscape work. If you look onhttp://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Portfolio/Top-Prints/ you'll see how good it can be. Peter uses it on a 5d Mark II and gets amazing results.

I wouldn't be put off the fact that it's only MF, it's always going to be on the tripod and if you're using hyper focal scales then AF isn't needed. Plus the lens is only a few hundred bucks. Money saved can go to a really good tripod and Asolo walking boots cause they'll be needed too lol
                              Here is another vote for the doubly amazing Samyang - double because (1) it's amazingly cheap (2) it's IQ is only (just) bettered by the Zeiss WA
                              James
                              James Boardman Woodend
                              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Working...
                              X