EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new lens for Landscape work

Default Re: A new lens for Landscape work

I know loads of folk who use the Samyang 14mm 2.8. It's manual focus but has a really good hyper focal distance scale on it. Absolutely vital for landscape work. If you look onhttp://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Portfolio/Top-Prints/ you'll see how good it can be. Peter uses it on a 5d Mark II and gets amazing results.

I wouldn't be put off the fact that it's only MF, it's always going to be on the tripod and if you're using hyper focal scales then AF isn't needed. Plus the lens is only a few hundred bucks. Money saved can go to a really good tripod and Asolo walking boots cause they'll be needed too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    IMHO, there is no real "landscape lens". Any lens can be used for landscape photography- even a tele lens.
    Wise words indeed. Many professional landscape photographers use telephoto lenses to compress landscapes to give a sense of scale or focus in on areas.
    It all depends on what type of landscape you are trying to capture.

Another good lens is tilt/shift which helps ensure focus/DoF from very close to lens through to back of image.
    I have one on my wish list, but decorating and furniture are my wife's priority for money at the moment!
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Another good lens is tilt/shift which helps ensure focus/DoF from very close to lens through to back of image.
    I have one on my wish list, but decorating and furniture are my wife's priority for money at the moment!
    I mentioned to my wife about a TS lens and she asked how much ....I got one of THOSE looks
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Member*

It depends on what you want WA for. If for interiors, especially in low light, then something like the Tokina 11-16 2.8 would be a good choice. If for landscapes then, as Paul says, it's easy to loose the sense of scale so multiple images taken with a longer lens and stitched together may provide better results. In that situation the 17-40 would be a very good choice - but you'll still find yourself wanting a wider lens in the bag. I did

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Paulstw View Post
    I know loads of folk who use the Samyang 14mm 2.8. It's manual focus but has a really good hyper focal distance scale on it. Absolutely vital for landscape work. If you look onhttp://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Portfolio/Top-Prints/ you'll see how good it can be. Peter uses it on a 5d Mark II and gets amazing results.

I wouldn't be put off the fact that it's only MF, it's always going to be on the tripod and if you're using hyper focal scales then AF isn't needed. Plus the lens is only a few hundred bucks. Money saved can go to a really good tripod and Asolo walking boots cause they'll be needed too lol
    Here is another vote for the doubly amazing Samyang - double because (1) it's amazingly cheap (2) it's IQ is only (just) bettered by the Zeiss WA
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Hi John i use the 17-40 on a crop sensor and for the price it's a cracking lens i also find it wide enough for almost all of the landscapes I've done and only had to compromise a few times, I think the 16-35 has the better iq but costs quite a bit more .im going the same route as you buying Ef lens to eventually go ff. there's also some good prices around if you go the second hand route.

Thanks Dave - good to hear favourable comments on the 17-40.

What I don't understand about lenses is e.g would the 16-35mm f4 L IS USM provide better IQ. Forget the IS as I would never use that on my tripod. What else has it got that warrants the price difference?

Also looking at the EF 16-35mm f2.8 L MKII USM Lens - using it for Landscape I would never open up my aperture to anything near f2.8, so what advantage would that give me.

Am I missing something?

John
    EOS 70D EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM ; EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by JAECOM View Post
    Thanks for all your comments. However my priority is not the widest lens I can get for the price but IQ, and also wider than my 24mm. That is why I am leaning towards the EF 17-40mm f4 L USM which seems a good price for L quality. Thoughts?
    I have a FF 6D and a EF 17-40mm f4 L USM and love the lens. I can't pass comment on what it would be like with a crop sensor but if you are looking for an endorsement for the lens itself you would certainly get one from me.
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Member*

Second the good reports on the 17-40 f/4L, I've had one for a few years which I used as the standard lens on my previous bodies. Worked well on crop bodies and is superb as a wide zoom on the 6D. Totally agree with your thinking of not spending big sums on EF-S lenses in anticipation of owning a full frame camera.

However, I wouldn't buy a new 17-40 at the moment! The 16-35 f/4L is from what I read even better quality and has IS for when you want to shoot hand-held. Also it's comparatively new. So some people are trading in 17-40 f/4L lenses for the 16-35 f/4L. I'd check out e-bay or firms like MPB, who offer good used equipment, for a sensibly priced 17-40 Alternatively bite the bullet and get a new 16-35 f/4L

Another cheap interim option as someone has previously mentioned is the 10-18 EF-S. Low cost good quality apparently and being a Canon lens it's always sellable when your full frame arrives.

M
    Last edited by Freefaller; 27-01-2015 at 17:27.

I have both the 24-70 F2.8L & 17-40F4L, and are both cracking lenses, but used on a FF body.
    John the only real world advantage a f2.8 lens gives over a f4 lens for landscapes (everything else being equal), is the f2.8 lens is a faster lens, therefore focusses marginally quicker, and through the viewfinder looks brighter than a f4 lens, which could be useful in low light.

For a crop body, you could consider the Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6, it would give you plenty of width, and it works on a FF body when you come to upgrade. The main downside (IMO) is that you can't use filters with it as the front element protrudes that much.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast