Macro lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macro lens

hello every body and good morning from a fresh but bright Cambridgeshire, any way I am new to the whole digital camera/photography scene.

I have a Canon 600D I now it's not an all singing all dancing digital Camera but you have to start some where and my reason for the purchase was that the screen is not fixed and when I go to speedway I can flip open the screen and get pictures.

Any way the reason I am asking this question, I love taking close up photos and have been using my normal lenses for the job, 18-55 stm 18-135 stm and my 75-300 now I am getting better at the close ups but I would like a macro lens that will be good with my camera, the bit that gets me is the fact that DSLRs are crop sensor cameras I don't understand the ratio yet 35mm to DSLR 1.6 crop.

I am told the L series lenses won't work with my camera because they are dedicated full frame, or so the guy in the shop tells me, he was trying to push a used sigma lens on to me but I like to research to see what is best and best for me.

So can any of you clever buggers enlighten me as to a proper macro lens that will be good for my camera, would prefer Canon, maybe Tamron maybe Sigma but would prefer Canon, what I like is flora and fauna and general stuff like getting in close to my Beagles nose you know stuff like that.

Regards Paul

Re: Macro lens

All EF lenses whether they are L or not will work with all full frame or cropped sensor cameras it is the ES-S lenses that will only fit cropped sensor cameras, like yours, but not full frame cameras

As to macro lenses, either a tamron 90 f2.8 or Canon EF-S 60 f2.8 are both reasonably priced or at the top of the range is the Canon 100 f2.8 L IS

I used to have the Tamron before I upgrader to the Canon L and my wife has the Canon ES-S 60 and all 3 produce excellent images

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

agree with Stan

but....

I am told the L series lenses won't work with my camera because they are dedicated full frame, or so the guy in the shop tells me
      shocking stuff that and I would be contacting the shop telling there staff is giving bad advice!
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I am told the L series lenses won't work with my camera because they are dedicated full frame, or so the guy in the shop tells me
        The guy in the shop needs to find a new job, or better you need to find a new shop. Canon EF lenses will work with both FF and Crop cameras. Canon EF-S lenses will only work with crop cameras.

If your budget will stretch to L lenses (note L lenses are all EF) then the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM at around £700 takes some beating. I've used one for several years on both my 550D and now 7DII - both crop cameras.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

As has been said you've been given bad advice but at least you were wise enough to question it.

I can't help with a macro lens but there were some impressive images posted here recently taken with an Opteka HD 10x macro lens attachment that were very impressive and at a fraction of the cost of a dedicated lens may be worth experimenting with.

See here: <link>

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Hello there.

My advice is quite simple - buy the best you can afford. Only you know how keen on the photography game you are likely to become, but if you get keen you will ultimately consider moving up to a full frame camera sooner or later. If you buy EF-S lenses now that will restrict your room for movement, unless you then change lenses as well. If you buy EF (or even L) rated lenses now you keep your options open for the future.

The 100 f2.8L lens mentioned above is a very good lens, and remember that just because it is rated as a Macro lens doesn't mean that you can't use if for non macro purposes. On a crop body that gives you an effective 160 mm of high quality glass. It's worth seriously considering - buy cheap and you buy twice!

Kind regards

Sara W.

Comment

I started with the EF-S 60mm macro lens, and whilst a good lens it did have its limitations.I upgraded to the EF100mm f2.8 and have been very pleased with it.

As Sara says the 100mm or indeed any macro has other uses.
              Last edited by Cyberman; 28-01-2015, 10:58.
              Andy

Comment

Hi good morning, sounds like it's the 100 mm macro for me then, the guy in the shop think was just trying to flog me the secondhand sigma he had but if I buy one it will be a new one, the shop University cameras Cambridge.

The problem with living in Cambridgeshire is he has the only shop left in the area so many camera shops have closed down because of the Internet, we have John Lewis in peterborough but they carry limited stock of camera gear and I do love to hold the item I would like in my hands, nothing in my mind beats being able to hold and see items, you never know what you will get with the net, having said that I did buy a very nice 28-80 ultrasonic lens of a one owner from EBay.

Any way thank you for your advice as new to the digital field of photography I have no problem asking pele for advice. Thank you.

Paul

Comment

I would check the second hand market out as I've seen some for sale with people that thought they would get into marco then never bothered

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Just had a look at David's pictures, yes very impressive think maybe being new to it I should play more with my stuff to see what the camera can really do, incidentally I would just like to say, when I bought my camera I took a day out to go to park cameras Burgess hill who were very good and gave overboard service think the guy was called Neil but can not remember, he got the package that I wanted and gave me a replacement to the standard 18-55 kit lens he swapped it for the 18-55 IS STM it is a fantastic lens optically I suppose it is the same as the kit lens but working wise focus is so quick and sharp, will go for another drive out to them to buy my macro lens I think. Big up to park cameras.

Comment

On my first reply you probably guest but that should be no problem asking pele for advice not pele don't think he is into photography lol.

Comment

Don't no what's going on that should be people. Yea it worked that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiffypaul View Post
                          Don't no what's going on that should be people. Yea it worked that time.
                          I guessed that - if you make a mistake theres an edit button

Comment

Don't dismiss the Sigma 105mm macro lens. I've never used one, but a photographer I know quite well has one and his results are very good. Roughly half the price of the Canon, or so I'm told. If funds are tight it might be worth a look.

Sigma...

Canon...

Of course you can always go grey ........

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post

Of course you can always go grey ........
                              its how I've bought all my equipment with no issues

Comment

Working...
                              X