Macro lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Macro lens

The Tamron 90 and Sigma 105 are excellent Macro lenses.
    Cheaper than the EF 100L but produce great images.

The Canon non-L is another good Macro lens option.

Incidentally, the 600D has been one of the best Canon DSLRs that I have owned - and I've had a few

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
      The Canon non-L is another good Macro lens option.
      Very true, I've got the non-L (corrected my post) and have used a friend's L version.
      Both give good results, and the extra cash for the IS on the L version may not be needed if you use a tripod etc.
      Of course if cash is no option then it's worth considering.
      Andy

Comment

Cheaper than the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, and every bit as good (read the comparison reviews), is the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro.

I have the old non IS version, which I have had for several years, the results are superb, and that's from someone whose other lenses are all Canon L series.

The newer Sigma 105 has IS.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

The none L is on par with the 100 2.8 L and a cheaper option, I have the 180 macro myself, but haven't had time to play with it. Shooting macro you do not need IS as most of the time you will use a tripod, other option is the 500D close up lense that screws onto the filter of your lenses.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Your other option and one that also carries limited second hand stock is WEX who are based in Norwich ,might be nearer for you and also a large dealer .

Comment

Once again thank you all for the advice,,,,,,still have not bought a macro lens as yet but my birthday is not to far away and I have been leaving post it notes all over the shop........one never knows does one.!!!!!!

Comment

I love my 100 f2.8 L lens, crisp sharp and has nice bokeh. The thing I like the most is the IS, because it's not always possible to use a tripod when shooting.

John

Comment

007.jpg
                  008.jpg
                  009.jpg

this is my first go with the new macro lens,,i bought the Canon 100 F2.8 macro USM if you have any comments on where i have gone wrong or what i should have done,,,or some thing else i could have done then that would be great,,sorry pics are so big still trying out how to post images.

regards paul
                  Last edited by Smiffypaul; 12-05-2015, 13:37.

Comment

so does this mean you got the 100mm ?
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Looks like a great first effort to me. They look a little soft, but this could be due to directly uploading to the sight. Uploading direct always degrades the quality slightly. I don't know much about macro, so can't offer much in the way of CC. A little info on your setup though would be helpful for folks to give you direction. Also, leave a space between the file names in your post, this will then leave a space between your photos when posted.

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your new lens,

Garry
                      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

A good start with the macro work.
                        Part of your softness problem is also the depth of field. Macro lenses when working close up, like your pix, have very shallow DOF. You need to be able to get a small as possible f setting, unless you want the out of focus look for part of your image.
                        Then with that f setting you may well be short of light and creating your own shadows being so close up - a ring flash is helpful - more kit!!!
                        Keep up the good work and the experimenting with what you and the lens can do.

David

Comment

think you must have posted the text after the images went up ..

well done on getting the 100 its a great lens - I'm with Garry the direct uploads here haven't helped so I will work on the understanding they are sharp although we can't see how sharp or the DoF ... If you want to post images here flickr is a must, direct uploads look NAF

you'll soon realise that light & DoF with that lens can be a real headache and one of the reasons I soon bought a ring flash as I was fed up pulling a tripod everywhere - maybe time to start posting more hints to the wife ;o)

PS its clear I was posting the same time as David ;o)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Yeah direct uploads have no idea how to get pics on here other wise,,,yeah I was trying to just get the bits I was looking at in focus,,,yes I got the 100, was looking at the 60 don't know if that would have been better,,,I free handed the pics I have a tripod but the thing don't go low so maybe a new tripod on cards as well,,,,,Digiman what do you mean by my setup,,,,f stop ISO shutter speed or camera and gear,,,,told ya am new to all this so have little to not much idea,,,,will have a go Flickr see what I can do,,,,think I will also look toward a camera club locally think that will be a big help.....

Regards paul

Comment

most of us here use Flickr, its easy to set up and once done you won't have a problem with soft uploads, plus its a lot faster to upload images and we get to see all the data your using like f-stops and such

you did well hand holding those shots as I assumed you'd used a tripod, so I'm guessing you've mastered the rocking action ;o)...

yes a tripod will make your life a lot easier as you won't have concerns over speed plus you can focus into exactly the point you want to - I tend to use manual focusing when on a tripod set up as well... If your looking for a decent one for marco try the manfrotto 055 or 019... And last when you get spare cash buy a ring flash it will change your macro work, I bought a Nissin flash, great bit of kit

have fun ;o)

Comment

Paul, putting aside the 'posting using Flickr' issue (which would also mean that people can see your camera settings so can offer further advice), I think these should be great, with really vibrant colours. You seem to have got quite a bit of light there, I presume this is all natural, i.e. no flash or lights?
                                Canon EOS 7D
                                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                                X