7D II First impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D II First impression

Not had much chance to use it yet, but its fab.

Re: 7D II First impression

Phew - steady on matey, detailed / in depth reviews like that are hard work to get through lol

I know - sarcasm is the lowest form of witt

Good to hear your having fun with it, looking forward to seeing what you come up with

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

canon 7d mark ii is just another crop factor camera nothing to scream about but if it was a "full frame" then yes I would see the point. anyway enjoy your new camera.
      Last edited by Michael.K; 18-02-2015, 21:54.
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

'just another crop factor camera' that happens to have a lot of technology from the 1 series cameras on board. It's easy to dismiss a body because it's not full frame Michael if it doesn't suit your needs but the reality is that it suits a lot of people that don't have the budget for a 1d.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
          'just another crop factor camera' that happens to have a lot of technology from the 1 series cameras on board. It's easy to dismiss a body because it's not full frame Michael if it doesn't suit your needs but the reality is that it suits a lot of people that don't have the budget for a 1d.
          The 7D Mark II is basically a 70D variant living in what most closely resembles a 5D Mark III body . Sadly cameras aren’t just about body features and technical specifications. At the end of the day what matters the most is the accuracy of the auto focus system and the quality of the images produced.

Now if you never own a 50D, 60D or 7D then you’ll love the 7D Mark II
          Last edited by Michael.K; 18-02-2015, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael.K View Post
            canon 7d mark ii is just another crop factor camera nothing to scream about but if it was a "full frame" then yes I would see the point. anyway enjoy your new camera.
            Yet full frame is a crop of a medium format which in turn is a crop of a large format etc. I can see this sort of thinking slowly going the way of Nikon are better than Canon, film is better than digital.
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Did I miss something? I'm sure I have read somewhere that the autofocus system on the 7d2 is the same, or similar to the 1d? I don't have much doubt that it would be a significant step up from the 50d.
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                Yet full frame is a crop of a medium format which in turn is a crop of a large format etc. I can see this sort of thinking slowly going the way of Nikon are better than Canon, film is better than digital.
                James
                Lets not get in another hot debate over full frame vs crop. as you know full frame is bigger then crop and yes full frame is only 35mm and no it's not the holy grail.

Now this link would explain
                Last edited by Michael.K; 18-02-2015, 22:32.

Comment

Michael.K
                  Not sure I get your point. I have the 7DII for birds, wildlife, trying to track my spaniel on Newgale beach. It replaced a 1D Mk 1V that was great but I kept leaving at home as it weighed a chunk with a 300 2.8 IS on for long walks etc - bomb proof and did a 4 hours whale watching trip off the north coast of a Iceland in torrential rain, uncovered. That's a crop camera - I bought it from James who took stunning photos with it. Camargue horses etc.
                  The lowly crop 7DII compliments my 5D3, which I am told is a full frame thingy, whatever that is.
                  2 cameras, similar tech, controls etc - crop and ff - best of both worlds. Taking 5D3 to Finland for landscape next week. Leaving the, apparently crappy, crop camera at home.
                  Not screaming, just saying.

Thank you for starting the debate on this thread.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I didn't say a crop camera is crappy I have the 60D myself but if I had the money I would jump for a full frame camera IMO, but there again having the top tools in anyone's hand don't make them a professional so to speak.

I sometimes hate debates because some people go OTT. when you are just making a point
                    Last edited by Michael.K; 18-02-2015, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                      I have the 7DII for birds, wildlife, trying to track my spaniel on Newgale beach.
                      How does it fair with the spaniel tracking? That's pretty relevant to me and I'm genuinely interested.
                      Paul

Comment

It works. The choice of focus points really helps to get the head sharp. I
                        think Canon & Nikon should test new Af systems on spaniels on the wonderful beaches of West Wales.

Comment

In 1800s in Sussex, England. It is a small-game hunter dog.

Comment

Michael - choice of FF depends on your subject matter to an extent. 400/500/600 lenses - yes, 1dx anytime.
                            300 mm plus extenders for birds etc, 1.6 crop works well.
                            Focus system on 7D 2 means more shots in focus.
                            Horses for courses.

Comment

Ps
                              We have amazing family photos taken on a Box Brownie in the 50 s ( not by me ). It's not just about the gear.( although I do like my toys...)

Comment

Working...
                              X