3 legged thing tripod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 legged thing tripod

I was impessed with this companies marketing and tripod features. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    My existing tripod is an okd jessops cheapy, which served its purpose, but is awkward to carry on long walks. I mount a 7d on this and later in the year might follow Stans example with the sigma 150-600mm, so fair weight between them both.
    Alun

Re: 3 legged thing tripod

Hello there. Yes, I have one of these. Very good it is too, within limitations. It is very well made and quite versatile in operation. It comes with an Arca head fixed as standard, as well as a padded carry bag.
    However...I think it is just a little bit lightweight for a full on DSLR and big lens. Others may/will disagree but I like something more sturdy. I use it as a carry around tripod for my days in the hills, or long days walking round town, cities or the like. When I go like this I carry my Olympus system with me, also for weight purposes.
    I wouldn't like to use a 7D plus a 150-600 lens on it. I know it's personal choice but I think the tripod will be too unstable with that weight on top of it. Sorry, I don't know what weight they are rated to carry, but I always take manufacturers claims with a large pinch of salt, and work on half what they say as a good operating limit.
    I hope this helps

Sara W.

Comment

I never use a tripod for wildlife shots, find them far too restrictive so always hand hold the 150-600 as I did with the 300 f4 and converter. I do have a tripod which I use for landscape and still life etc indoors - a Manfrotto 190 which has served well for the past 7 years

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Like stan although I have a tripod I rarely use it or my monopod ,I have now gotten used to the weight of the sigma and use it Hand held To .i think from what I have seen tha three legged tripod will be to lightweight as well

Comment

Hello Sara. Many thanks for your advice, I normally only use my tripod for landscapes and a 10-20mm I only thought to include the larger lens as a possibility for future applications which currently are not set in concrete. Keeping your input in mind I might just visit the mfg at the upcoming Photography show in the NEC. I suppose what I really want is rugged but light. Cheers.

Stan: One day I was hoping to emulate your surfing pics and thought a good tripod/mono-pod would be a asset. Or did you hand hold for these as well.

Blackfox: Thanks for taking the time to comment, if I see two guys with camera's at slimbridge with huge arms, its likely to be you and Stan
          Alun

Comment

One day I was hoping to emulate your surfing pics and thought a good tripod/mono-pod would be a asset. Or did you hand hold for these as well.
            the surfing pictures were handheld as well with the 300f4 and converter - again, like wildlife, I think a monopod or tripod would be too restrictive

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Hi Alun

For wildlife I always hand-hold.
              For landscape then a reliable tripod is a benefit (IMHO).
              I have the Benro tripod and ball head (Amazon Link)
              It's a very good tripod with nice hand grips on all 3 legs (great in cold weather), Reversible centre column, Spirit level & Compass and the ball head is included in the price.

I have also heard good things about the "3 legged thing" tripods.

Hope it helps

ps If you go to Slimbridge please give me a call for a potential meet up.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Most work except landscape handheld. Though have used monopod when photographing kestrel as nest can be in shade.
                Bought new tripod recently after much research. Ended up with Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre and Xpro 3 way head. Handles on head slide in to make more compact and there are preloads so that you can move camera but when you release it just stays where you leave it.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi Stephen

I have tried to contact you a few times, I would look forward to meeting you.
                  Alun

Comment

Should have replied to both of you in one post. Will go to photography show and having made note of the products you guys have purchased I will have a look at them all. Thanks Antoekness and Stephen for your comments
                    Alun

Comment

Originally posted by Alun100 View Post
                      Hi Stephen

I have tried to contact you a few times, I would look forward to meeting you.
                      I think my message box was full, I have just deleted lots of old messages.

I tried to message you but your message box is also full, so you need to delete some old messages from your "inbox" and also the "sent items" box.

Stephen
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X