Event photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event photography

Anybody here do event work? Something that has caught my attention and fits with my interest, just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer.
    Paul

Re: Event photography

not for many years sorry - but tell more, lets see if we can all bounce some ideas around for you
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
      Anybody here do event work? Something that has caught my attention and fits with my interest, just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer.
      Paul,

What do you mean by 'event work'?

I have some experience of shooting Art Shows & am happy to pass on my thoughts if appropriate.

Bob
      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Paul
        Ditto to the above questions - I have some experience of classic car shows if relevant.
        Quentin

Comment

The idea spawns from my flyball events, and the fact that people are interested in purchasing images. Having looked at the options I realise that you are more likely to sell if you can print there and then. This has led to my looking at what other events this could be applied to, and wondering if this would be a viable option as a source of income. Mainly thinking about sports events, but could equally apply to anything where there might be a demand for prints I guess.
          Paul

Comment

offering impulse buys is always going to get you more sales - only down side is very little PP as you just won't have the time - if you don't need to process much then yes I can see pet owners going for your images. Maybe offering something like a 10x8 or larger with a paid deposit to cover costs

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Yes there is money to be earned at these events. Probably one of the most successful is with horse events as the owners of horses are fairly well heeled. You would need to seek permission from the organisers to get into the rings in order to get the best shots.
              Plus you need to take care if any minors are involved ( permission from guardians needed and possibly police clearance)
              Last but not least you need to register as a sole trader with HMRC otherwise you would be well and truly stuffed if you don't do that and they find out
              James
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Last but not least you need to register as a sole trader with HMRC otherwise you would be well and truly stuffed if you don't do that and they find out
                agree about the tax, but ( and this is going off memory here so maybe wrong) can't you trade and so long as you register within a time period back date so long as you hold onto all receipts? ...

Comment

I don't know Tigger - I would think a couple of months but not much more
                  James
                  James Boardman Woodend
                  www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I recall that it wasn't an issue until end of first year of trading, although it's been a long time since I had any involvement in such things. I have a friend who is an accountant, which is always handy.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                      I don't know Tigger - I would think a couple of months but not much more
                      James
                      agree- I'm sure a lot of people try to make some extra cash and it doesn't always work out, if everyone registered straight away the HMRC it would have thousands of applications, so maybe a better way would be to try hopefully succeed then register .... now that would be the common sense route but this is the tax office LOL

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                        I recall that it wasn't an issue until end of first year of trading, although it's been a long time since I had any involvement in such things. I have a friend who is an accountant, which is always handy.
                        that sounds about right

Comment

I think the biggest concern is actually getting into the events in the first place. I know there are dedicated people out there who already do dog agility and flyball events for example so you are looking at getting a foot in the door somewhere without treading on someone else's toes. A friend of ours shows shire horses and we went to one of the shows last year where there was a massive, well kitted outfit doing it. This is probably what opened my eyes to the possibilities as there was clearly a lot of money involved.
                          Paul

Comment

I would start with the show where they know you as hopefully you'll have no problems getting photos, maybe even printed and sold. Then when approaching other events you'll have something to show .. Another plus could be getting a recommendation from the show organizer

You could also throw up a dedicated blog detailing services and images - although I would buy a name and host it rather than free space, but thats dirt cheap now

Comment

I have a domain, and was looking at setting up a smugmug account or similar for the bigger picture. Lots of research to do really. I am building quite a good reputation amongst the community so hopefully this will help in the long run.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X