Event photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event photography

Back in my day you had 3 months to register with HMRC. Not sure if that's still the case.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
      I am building quite a good reputation amongst the community so hopefully this will help in the long run.
      should do good luck
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
        The idea spawns from my flyball events, and the fact that people are interested in purchasing images. Having looked at the options I realise that you are more likely to sell if you can print there and then. This has led to my looking at what other events this could be applied to, and wondering if this would be a viable option as a source of income. Mainly thinking about sports events, but could equally apply to anything where there might be a demand for prints I guess.
        Paul,

My experience is purely voluntary so I cannot comment on your plans as a source of income.
        You will need Public Liability Insurance as your Home Insurance won't cover any paid activities.

What are the chances of you asking the organisers of the events if you could be 'their photographer' on a sub contract basis?

Bob
        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Public liability is no great issue, my wife works for a broker. Teams all have insurance too. Still a lot to look at before I can get excited, but I'm hopeful that it could be something I could shift into as I'm not getting any younger.
          Paul

Comment

The last time i did an event that printed on site it took 4 people to do the job,

Photographer(1) doing team photos /photographer(2) doing the action shots/ (3) someone doing the cropping and printing on the computer etc/ (4) display and sales assistant.

+ we had a small marquee that needed setting up and also a generator to get everything working, we also had to pay the organizers to have the rights (no other photographers were allowed to shoot).

The only size we did was 9x6 placed in a card frame(like the ones you get from school photos)priced at £5.99
            Hope that gives you some idea whats involved.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
              The last time i did an event that printed on site it took 4 people to do the job,

Photographer(1) doing team photos /photographer(2) doing the action shots/ (3) someone doing the cropping and printing on the computer etc/ (4) display and sales assistant.

+ we had a small marquee that needed setting up and also a generator to get everything working, we also had to pay the organizers to have the rights (no other photographers were allowed to shoot).

The only size we did was 9x6 placed in a card frame(like the ones you get from school photos)priced at £5.99
              Hope that gives you some idea whats involved.

Paul
              interesting details Paul but the big question did it pay off ?

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                interesting details Paul but the big question did it pay off ?
                Its always hit and miss one year they did really well next year not that great plus when i was there it started raining halfway through the event so people didn't hang around so weather also plays apart (unless you're lucky to be at an indoor event).

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

not great with bad weather people don't want to hang around - I suppose with an indoor event a nice 60" plasma would help sell the images as you could stream to them ;o).... Maybe Paul should factor in that cost as well ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                    Last but not least you need to register as a sole trader with HMRC
                    James
                    Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment . This and other pages on the site should help

David

Comment

Working...
                    X