Public liability insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public liability insurance

I've been told I need insurance - not equipment insurance - we have that already covered.

To be a little more specific, my wife and I are very much amateur photographers, however word of mouth seems to have got around and we're getting a lot of requests for baby and family photographs - so much so that people are expecting us to charge.

On top of that, I'm trying to organise some studio work for ourselves and some friends - this work will include some models and equipment, but obviously we will need some cover in case of damage to third party property as well as public liability.

I am looking for some advice as to how other people deal with this ... we're not full time photographers, so is there anything that covers part timers at a reasonable price? How about a group of people, most of whom have no other association other than having done the same courses.
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Re: Public liability insurance

the last time I looked PL insurance wasn't that expensive and I can't see a insurance company offering a policy just too amateurs - You could maybe form a group and see if you could get cover for the group but I would have thought the cost would jump ....

What quotes have you had so far?

Well done on getting people offer to pay for your work
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Jock,

The first question is - are you being paid for your services and is there a contract between you and your client? If the answer is 'yes' then you will need separate Public Liability as your Home Insurance may not provide it unless it's a nominal amount.

If 'no' then I assume this is an informal agreement between friends and providing this is understood and agreed by both sides then it does become simpler. Your own Home Insurance policy will give you the Public Liability cover (as this is not your normal profession and there is no financial gain), but speak to them to check.

Public Liability Insurance covers you against legal costs and compensation payments resulting from injuries or property damage to your client or members of the public which was caused by you.

As far as the Studio work is concerned then the owners will want confirmation that you have Public Liability but if there is a group of you then a separate policy in all your names (unless you are a formal club) might be difficult to arrange.

Can I suggest a chat to your Home Insurer or broker would be the first step.

All this advice is given on my understanding of the covers available but I've have been retired for a few years now and things do change!

Bob
      (Chartered Insurer)
      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

The National Market Traders Federation do PLI - take a look at their web site
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I've had some quotes and to be honest, they're not too bad - certainly not as bad as I was expecting - around £70 per annum!

As for the group, evidently, as long as I am present at the shoot, and the cover is in my name, everything ought to be OK (although I'm waiting on written confirmation of this!)

Comment

Excellent,

Hope it all works out for you.

Bob
            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
              Thanks for the comments.

I've had some quotes and to be honest, they're not too bad - certainly not as bad as I was expecting - around £70 per annum!

As for the group, evidently, as long as I am present at the shoot, and the cover is in my name, everything ought to be OK (although I'm waiting on written confirmation of this!)
              I didn't think it would too expensive .... camera insurance on the other hand knowing it could be for commercial use now thats another thing!
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

My third party insurance is part of my camera insurance. Don't forget to register with HMRC as self-employed if you are taking money. You can then offset your insurance against taxable earnings plus all sorts of other expenses including your equipment.

Graham

Comment

Mine is all insured through these guys, they do it as options etc

Oops! We can't find what you're looking for. It is not here or has never existed. Sorry about that!
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
                    Thanks for the comments.

Where did you get that £70pa quote from Jock? I just checked one online and it came out as £400pa!

Comment

The original £70 was over the 'phone from Aaduki.

I've since carried out some research and have finally taken out £5m liability (due to one customer stipulating that's what I ought to have) and combined it with new-for-old equipment insurance for about £220.

Comment

Working...
                      X