Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film cameras dead?

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
    Can we start spelling Nikon correctly? It is not a banned word on this forum. Noink is close to being jargon and could confuse newcomers to the forum.
    Apologies Robert - just having a bit of fun and wrist duly slapped!!

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
      Apologies Robert - just having a bit of fun and wrist duly slapped!!
      My comment was not directed at any one person - the use of Noink seems to occur across the forum.

Sorry, mwphoto - you just happened to be there when I fired my broadside.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I think there is still a market for field cameras and critical architectural use but obviously, digital is now 'king' for most uses. Despite all my fervour for film, i must admit that i myself, in the last year have only exposed about 2 rolls of slide film, even though I have 3 excellent working film cameras.
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

I don't know if film cameras are dead. I stopped using film in 2004 and used digital compacts ever since. However, that latency time delay on a digital from pressing the button to the time the camera acts upon it, is what has made me now return to film. I like the shutter going off the very millisecond I press the button.

I now have the same cameras I had in 2004 - 2x EOS 30s - but in searching for camera gear I came across Camera World in London. Interestingly, their website's FAQ page states that film photography is making a comeback.

If digital slrs got rid of the latency issue film wouldn't get a look-in.
          I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

What an interesting thread, thoroughly enjoyed folks reminiscences , thoughts and points of view.

I don't particularly miss film as such , although I still have a Zenit 122 gathering dust (literally) on my study shelf, I bought it for coppers a couple of years ago, mainly because my first SLR was a zenit, I've never used it, and never will.

The 3 things I do miss about film...firstly Velvia, although there are various digital plug-ins that are pseudo-Velvia, I don't think they come close, the pure creaminess distinct tones & textures of Velvia is something I'd love to replicate, knowing I never will.

Second, the chemical smells of a B&W darkroom, one whiffe of developer/fixer and I'm whisked back to the little box room under the stairs that doubled up as a darkroom.

And last, similar to a lot of folk, the B&W 10x8 print gradually coming to life while being rocked gently in the developer dish.

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I miss the magic of the the black & white image appearing on the paper.

I still have an EOS 1n film camera and the shutter response is no different to my digital SLR's. When you mentioned shutter latency, were you refering to point'n shoot and bridge cameras? I go back to D30 and D60 Canon DSLR's and never noticed any detrimental shutter delay.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I mean I've had some digital compacts which had awful latency issues and it put me off going for digital slrs, fearing they would be the same.

I currently use a Fuji Finepix F40d for whenever I need to take pictures for the internet, and the latency on it is almost non-existent.
                At the moment I've just bought two EOS 30s, merely because they were the last film slrs I had (bought from Canon in Reigate when I worked there briefly in 2001). I am now wondering whether to ditch one of them and get a 30D so I'm still using EOS 30s but with the option of digital.

On the subject of the 30D - and it being an 8.2 mp - my Fuji is an 8.3 and my smartphone has a Zeiss 8.2 mp, and if the EOS 30D produces similar quality then I'll be impressed enough to stop salivating over the EOS 7.
                I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Well this thread was started nearly 4 years ago, and film is still well and truly alive!

I use film, 35mm and 120 mostly but I do have a baby Rollie which takes 127 - that's now very scarce although Ilford do an annual bulk run.

It seems that by now, anyone who had been using film and wanted to switch to digital has done so (the financial barriers are no longer so relevant). Flim use has actually increased in some areas, I'm sure I read a quote from a director of Ilford that sales of certain emulsions had increased. We also have Polaroid films available again.

Kodak have come out of Chapter 11 and the film business has been ceded to the UK Pension fund (but Kodak will actually produce the product and it will still be called Kodak).

The Lomo trend continues - it wasn't just a 'flash in the pan' - which helps to bring newcomers to film photography, and of course we shouldn't forget that the motion picture industry is still a huge film using market.

No need to panic, anyone!

Comment

I still have my EOS 650 if anyone wants it.

Comment

Two days ago my latest parcel arrived, and it contained a good condition used Canon A-1.
                      My T-90 and AT-1 have both ceased working, so I needed something with which to try the 3 varieties of the Canon 35mm F/2 FD lens I've collected. I now have 3 - two with a concave front element, and one with a more normal convex front element. In the cupboard, I still have my Contaflex, Minolta SRT101, and an Eos 3. Upstairs in a spare room, there's more including a Minolta 7000, Nikon F3 and some oddities.
                      After testing out a Hasselblad 500 for a friend, I decided that a Rollei 6006 with an 80mm Zeiss Planar would be a good idea. WRONG! I worked really hard to make it work, but the extremely poor reliability of its electrics defeated me - and I'm a professional avionics engineer! OTOH my much less pretentious Mamiya M645 1000S simply works when required.
                      M Stewart
                      Milton Keynes, UK

Comment

Just got my 1V serviced by Canon.....
                        Tap tap tap...

Comment

Maybe one day i will buy my first ever 35mm film camera, but for now i will stick with Medium format and Large format film cameras [i also have 1 digital medium format camera].
                          Last edited by Tareq; 12-03-2014, 02:02.

Comment

Just bought a ELAN 7 on eBay. Have a 50mm and a roll of BW film in it, ready to go.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                              Just bought a ELAN 7 on eBay. Have a 50mm and a roll of BW film in it, ready to go.

Tom
                              Tom - I have one of these which was known as the EOS 30 in the UK. Enjoy the experience of eye control focus & the quietest shutter I've heard until my 6D in Silent Mode!

Bob
                              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

It's a very nice camera; I picked up the revised 30V model for very little pretty much as I was switching from film to digital, and used it with my 10D to cover wideangle shots - a fair bit lighter than the 3. Then my wife decided she wanted to use it...
                                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                                X