X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film cameras dead?

Originally posted by colin C View Post
    Many a true word.

I used to love being in the darkroom ........... that's where all the magic happened. More so with black & white, because you could see what was happening. Colour was all done in the processor and you could only see the results when everything had finished.

To put a blank piece of B&W paper in the developer and see the image start to appear was the "Alchemy" of photography and I never tired of seeing it.

Colin
    Yes the B & W work that the lads did in the dark room was magic Colin .
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
    Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
    Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

For me fun of film photographer was the challenge of getting it right in the viewfinder. I still revert to this with the DSLR- relying on my skill rather than Photoshop.
      ef-r

Comment

Film cameras are D_E_A_D. Manufacturers won't return to them. Rather, they will become a collectors item like the Box Brownie.

The APS film format was suppose to revolutionise the film industry. Camera sales of the 35mm film were falling, and the general public wanted a simple camera, that would not cause them problems to load, it was safer, no chance of opening the back accidently, shooting a roll of imaginary film, especially at weddings!!! The APS was supposed to solve all these problems. However, it didn't work very well. Guess what happened next. DIGITAL. THIS has revolutionised the photographic industry. No more accidentally exposing film, losing the canister, photo shops developing it incorrectly ...

Only now, one can lose the media card, problems with the computer..., but more is on the user, rather than the error being on the shop's side. Camera sales have risen dramatically, ( I'm sure Canon are happy), and a whole new client base has appeared.

Digital photography is now far more accessible than it has ever been! Even now, not only can one become a famous professional photographer via Facebook, Flickr or one of the many photo sharing sites and web pages, but also an internationally known movie director via Youtube, just waiting for their chance on the big screen.

Watch out for those who take photos and make movies for a living. Citizen Joe is just around the corner, with is digi-photo-vid-cam, waiting...:tongue:
        Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post

Watch out for those who take photos and make movies for a living. Citizen Joe is just around the corner, with is digi-photo-vid-cam, waiting...:tongue:
          I took my first video on the 5DII last night. Incredible quality but not that keen on the manual only focus. However stick it on f13, iso 3200, focus at about 3.5m and it works very well
          ef-r

Comment

It's all about the pictures. The device and/or the process used is irrelevant.. There are a lot of camera clubs frequented by grumpy old men who 'look down their noses' at new digital photraphers. My advice is to ignore them, or better still challenge them to show you some examples of thier 'work'.

Millie

Comment

The device and/or the process used is irrelevant.
              But I do like my toys as well as the pictures.

Comment

lol, I'd never accuse you of being grumpy George,
                Millie

Comment

I was hesitant to reply to this thread but the recent announcement about Kodachrome made me realize that if it's dead, then all the others will soon follow.

Are new LP vinyl discs for music still being produced? How about 45's? Or 78's?

Glenn

PS - the grumpy old guys will be even grumpier.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn NK
                    Are new LP vinyl discs for music still being produced? How about 45's? Or 78's?
                    I've seen new 33's (LPs) for sale. I'm assuming 45's are still produced. But these are very rare and for the odd artist only.

Younger reader may wonder what we are on about ... ah my Linn player that ended up in a charity shop.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                      For me fun of film photographer was the challenge of getting it right in the viewfinder. I still revert to this with the DSLR- relying on my skill rather than Photoshop.
                      Bang on your right Brian that is what i have always thought Brian.
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                      Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                      Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

As much as I loved my A-1, I don't want to go back there for one primary reason - it wasn't digital.

Never mind the manual focus - I'm using a TSE manual focus lens right now so the lack of AF wasn't the deal breaker.

It was lack of very easy control over the developing of the image from the camera. Want more or less sharpness? click-click. Want more/less saturation? click-click. Want a temp change? click-click.

Want to use daylight film indoors? Change filter - oh crap, I don't have that filter. Now where is that other roll?

Film was nice until it was superseded by digital. Now it's time to let it go along with carburetors, daguerreotypes, and mini-skirts. NO, WAIT, I liked mini-skirts. It's the maxis I didn't like.

Glenn

Comment

I always did my own processing and my mentality was that the shoot wasn't finished until the film, or transparencies, were processed and hanging up to dry. Only then could I manage to get some sleep.

Don't miss the smell of stinky colour chemicals as well.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            Don't miss the smell of stinky colour chemicals as well.
                            ... and the smell of the emulsion. Mind you I don't miss cold evening in a room with just a red light.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                              ... Mind you I don't miss cold evening in a room with just a red light.
                              This could be miss-interpreted

I seem to remember when I was processing colour film / prints I had to use a horrible brown light and the smell of those chemicals was terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                                This could be miss-interpreted
                                He He

With colour it was completely dark in my darkroom (whilst handling fresh paper) with prints being done in a rotating drum. I wasn't too bothered by the chemical smells as I had an interest in Chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                                X