The Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eclipse

We will be experiencing a partial eclipse next Friday, around about 82% at 09:30 in the Buckinghamshire / Oxfordshire area. We may be lucky and get a clear day in which case I'll try my hand at capturing it.

My initial plan was to just set the camera & lens (Canon 60D + 15-85 EFS) on a tripod and photograph the changing light on the Thames flood plain in front of me looking South from Watlington Hill. At present I only have a CPL but as I've taken shots into sunlight (though not directly) I didn't see this as a problem. It seems this might not be such a good idea. I also have a Sigma 105mm macro and a Canon 400 'L' F5.6.

I would welcome any advice on what combination might be best and what I need to make it safe, even if said advice is to leave well alone at such short notice and just enjoy the spectacle.

Thanks

JN

Re: The Eclipse

Might be worth looking here
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

You need something like a Mylar filter which rejects both light and heat. They fit over the front of the lens. You can by a glass one or a plastic coated film which can be cut to size. They must be securely fitted so they do not drop off or leak light in. You can buy these from good quality astronomy equipment shops in the UK. You should use live view to focus the camera. On no account should you look into the the optical viewfinder with just a CPL fitted or just a ND filter. Any optical instrument ( including camera lenses) pointed at the sun will cause instant damage to your eyes - even with 85% of the sun covers by the moon in the coming partial eclipse. Non astronomical filters ( like ND or CPL) partially reduce the light but have little effect on the huge amount of infra red that sun emits.
      Hope this helps
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks James for your good advice. I have also been asked whether using a good quality pair of Poloroid sunshades are OK to view the Eclipse for those who do not wish to take photographs- usually the youngsters! Any advice on that?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Thanks James for your good advice. I have also been asked whether using a good quality pair of Poloroid sunshades are OK to view the Eclipse for those who do not wish to take photographs- usually the youngsters! Any advice on that?
          Absolutely not ! That would be truly dangerous
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks James. I have also googled and the advice is the same as what you have given. I personally think that the Health authorities should give out general advice to the public re this Eclipse; we don't want another rush to the A&E like what happens after a drunken night out!!!!!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

You can buy cheap Mylar glasses - card ones that look a bit what you used to wear to watch the old 3D films. Very effective and not expensive. If you want you grandchildren to view the eclipse do a web search for quality astronomy shops in the UK and phone them up to see if they have anything similar in stock
              James
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks James, will do.

Comment

EBay are currently selling these glasses at outrageous prices!
                  EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Working...
                  X