Seeking some advice - SuperZooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking some advice - SuperZooms

I'm planning a visit to Bempton Cliffs later this month (April) in in an attempt to get some photographs of the seabirds, especially the puffins.

I'd like to hire a lens for this purpose. I would like to try the Sigma 150-600 Sport but can anyone tell me how it will perform on my 1.6 crop factor EOS 700D?

Should I be looking to hire something a little shorter - like a Canon 400mm?

I have a Sigma 70-300 which I took last year and my wife hogged it all day but she did get some good photographs, so I do want to out-do her this year!
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Re: Seeking some advice - SuperZooms

We will be going to Bempton Cliffs in June but not having been before not sure just how close the birds will be. The sigma will be fine on your camera but it is a heavy lens and for continuous handholding and particularly panning for the birds in flight you may find it a bit uncomfortable. I was at Gigrin over the weekend and had the 150-600 on my 7D and my 300 f4 and converter on the 7DII and only took a handful of shots with the longer lens. When we go to Bempton I anticipate just taking the 300 and converter

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Last time I was there the 2 lenses I used were the Canon 200mm F2.8 and 300mm F2.8, (on a 7D) for birds in flight, didn't use (or need) an extender. It maybe different if you are looking to catch the birds nesting and need something longer.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Stan,

From my limited experience of Bempton, there are some areas where the public can get quite close - close enough to take something like this with my 24-105 at max zoom:

Finally managed to see some puffins! by .Jock, on Flickr

I would suggest you will be OK with the 300mm because most bits of the cliff are much further away.

Looks like I'll be experimenting with the Sigma then!
        Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

The 300mm on the 7D will be perfect.

Papa.

Comment

Stan we will be around from the 8th onwards ,if that ties in send me you mobile number ,,having been several times before I personally think you will need the sigma as it's more adaptable even if it means taking a tripod along ,lots of peeps do .
            I always found the 400 just lacking at bempton birds can vary in distance and type and while a gannet will fill the frame ,puffins and razorbills and guillemots won't ,lots of small interesting birds along the meadows as well ,it's not a one day or one type of bird site so take that into account .
            Winds from the East will keep the birds below the cliff tops a decent westerly will have a six foot wingspan gannet hovering a few feet over your head .i love the place ..
            The fulmars are my favourite bird there and worth seeking out to
            a puffing from a couple of years ago
            leap of faith by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
            and a gannet from last year
            duck !!!!! by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
            Last edited by the black fox; 08-04-2015, 22:24.

Comment

Agree with Jeff I'd take the Sigma zoom then you'll have more scope.
              Walked the dog along the cliffs this afternoon and most of the Gannets are well below the cliff tops.
              Managed to shoot some puffins, a bit of sea mist hanging around so shot is a little flat also even though quite close i still ended up using my x2 converter with the 400mm?=800mm on full frame.

ps-Actually Image doesn't look too bad on here.

Paul

puffin
              DPP_297 by Paullinton99, on Flickr
              Last edited by paul linton; 10-04-2015, 17:01.
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
              X