All calm at the Alt Estuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All calm at the Alt Estuary

The River Alt runs from Hag Plantation in Huyton eventually running south of Formby and empties into the Irish Sea, near the edge of the Mersey estuary at Hightown. It's banks are lined by villages with names of Viking origin.

I was walking on the costal path on Monday and this took my eye. Whilst I'm happy with it ... I was wondering what could be done to 'improve' it ... without cloning out the flotsam (or is it jetsam?).

5D3 with 24-105L (@24mm) ... f/5.6 1/3200 ISO400 (there was a haar [sea fret] causing visibility to vary ... ships in the main shipping channel were using fog horns).

One more from the day:

Thanks for looking.

Re: All calm at the Alt Estuary

I can see why it caught your eye. Good on you for taking a picture in those conditions, I'm not sure I would have.

As it is it's what I call a "geographical" picture, it tells me about the landform, the river and tide, the weather is interesting too. However I don't find myself feeling part of the image.

I enlarged the view on my monitor so I could do some virtual cropping and found that by taking the right hand side in to half way to the red pole and the bottom up to the dense rushes so that the bits of flotsam were removed the picture had more of a meaning.
    The boat became more of the subject and was in the right hand side of the picture pointing into the empty space on the left that went out into the mist and open water.
    Using my imagination the picture then started to have a story to it. What's out in the mist, who was going to sail off into the unknown?

I know everyone sees a picture differently, those are just my perceptions. I wonder how others see it?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
      I can see why it caught your eye. Good on you for taking a picture in those conditions, I'm not sure I would have.

As it is it's what I call a "geographical" picture, it tells me about the landform, the river and tide, the weather is interesting too. However I don't find myself feeling part of the image.

I enlarged the view on my monitor so I could do some virtual cropping and found that by taking the right hand side in to half way to the red pole and the bottom up to the dense rushes so that the bits of flotsam were removed the picture had more of a meaning.
      The boat became more of the subject and was in the right hand side of the picture pointing into the empty space on the left that went out into the mist and open water.
      Using my imagination the picture then started to have a story to it. What's out in the mist, who was going to sail off into the unknown?

I know everyone sees a picture differently, those are just my perceptions. I wonder how others see it?
      Exactly my thoughts too. The boat is too central (those rules of third again). Personally I would lose the two blue barrels or perhaps tone them down as they do draw the eye away from the overall scene.
      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

its a record of a time and place ,so i would leave well alone ,make it look to nice and the place will be like wales last weekend over run by grockles and warsicks

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          its a record of a time and place ,so i would leave well alone....
          I agree with Jeff. Well done MX5

Tom

PS sure miss your walking photos

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. As Jeff states it's a record of what was ... and not an artistic rendering (I don't do art anyway, I leave that to those that have the knack). But I did play with various alignments (1/3th's as well as 1/5th's) ...

Tom - walking photos moved to a (superb) Sony RX100 for easy of carrying a while ago (that was lost) and I now default to a (very good) Olympus Stylus 1.

Comment

Working...
            X