Stars and Aurora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stars and Aurora

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending a astrophotography workshop in Wellington, New Zealand.

The night looked like it would be cancelled due to cloud coverage. Just after a talk by Mark Gee , we had a break in the cloud and we all rushed down the beach of Red Rock to have a go. As the sky cleared, a gentle haze appeared south and the auroras came out to play.

Mark's 500px

Please feel free to comment and share

Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruiser; 11-04-2015, 21:43.

Re: Stars and Aurora

Great image would be pleased if I'd taken it.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi,
      Bloody epic shot.
      You have the galactic centre of the Milky Way showing plus Megallanic Clouds ( smaller galaxies that are close to ours which are being ripped apart by the huge tidal gravitational force produced by the spiral arms of our own much larger Galaxy). You also have what appears to be a magenta reddish aurora which is likely to be oxygen molecules in the upper atmosphere being excited by incoming plasma from the sun. The usual greenish aurora is oxygen being excited at lower levels.
      The Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2015 closes this Thursday - it's free to enter - it has a special aurora photography section - and this is such a good shot you would be a bit crazy not to enter it.
      I do know a good astro shot when I see one ( I have been 3 times a finalist in APOTY & was fortunate to be the overall winner in 2014). I would also send a copy to NASA as it might get selected for the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) - I have been also selected twice for that as well. If you need any help just ask.best of luck !
      You would have my vote !
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Beautiful Image. Very well done.

Tom

Comment

Fantastic mate what an image ,certainly inspires others to get out and give it a go.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I would love to see the green aurora James. But we only seem to get the red in Wellington. I assume we are just seeing the top of what the others are seeing down south...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
              Thanks everyone. I would love to see the green aurora James. But we only seem to get the red in Wellington. I assume we are just seeing the top of what the others are seeing down south...
              Hard to tell but I guess that is the answer - very similar to the aurora seen in North Britain.
              James
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Bruiser, I know nothing about astro photography, but I can recognise a stonkingly good image when I see one. And that is one.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

A joy to look at.

Kevin

Comment

A great shot looks even better when you click the 500px link
                    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                    Facebook
                    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Thanks again, here is another from the night. Everyone heading down the beach.

I so love the 6d, must admit, I was nervous buying it, but it capabilities are amazing.

Red Rocks Workshop 11042015 (1 of 1).jpg

Comment

A fantastic shot, I saw the stars but not the aurora while in New Zealand and it certainly is a wow factor!

Sue

Comment

Absolutely fantastic
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Great astro imagery.

Paul
                            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                            X