Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iMac Retina

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
    agree, but its not just about the price as the PC will always win that battle over Mac, but having used PCs for years I moved over to Macs and the system is much more stable and a lot faster - Reboots was something I used to do every morning, sometimes more often depending what was running, now I only reboot if I've had a download or update and currently due to work and load of stuff open I've not rebooted for couple of weeks, something I would never get away with on a PC
    Agree, but, it depends on what is important. To me, my computer is part of my hobby. I don't rely on it for business in any form. So, price is important, and the biggest factor in my decision on what to buy
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
      Agree, but, it depends on what is important. To me, my computer is part of my hobby. I don't rely on it for business in any form. So, price is important, and the biggest factor in my decision on what to buy
      agree, when it comes to work you need to have a tool you can reply on

as to what to buy my rule has always been the fastest system I can afford as you know 6mths down the line you'll be wanting something quicker ;o) - are makes and brands a factor? I don't think so, its all similar stuff inside the box ;o)..
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

For my business as a cabinet maker, I always bought the best I could afford when it came to tools. That didn't always mean the most expensive either. I am the kind of person that does lots of research, and then a little more research, before buying anything. I want to make the most informed decision I can, and be aware of the possible downfalls of an item before committing to buying. It has served me well so far. That is why I started a thread on here asking for advice on buying a new computer. I know little about computers, but do know what I want from one, so, who better to ask than photogs!

Comment

surly this is an business expense ? if so spend the company money ;o)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I am no longer in business, and now work for a college. So, no more business expenses

Comment

thats a shame ... one of the few perks of working for yourself

Comment

If you are working for a college as a tutor you should be able to get the apple eduction discount. When I bought my first iMac I was teaching & so got a discount. For me being able to open up the box & literally just plug in & switch on was great with everything just simply working, they do come with keyboard & mouse so you are ready to go.

Sue

Comment

I got my 27inch iMac through education discount (another ex-teacher) in Nov 2010. It is starting to struggle a little with external drives,backups etc. It was my first Mac and I intend to replace it with another Mac although I will research it fully. There were some faults on the hard drive of the series (not mine) but Apple contacted me a two or three years after purchase and a new HD was fitted. The 27 inch screen has been a problem however. Many owners of the 2010 27 inch screen have dust problems but Apple have always maintained there was no fault with the seal round the edge. Newer screens are made differently and don't have the problem and I would still recommend the iMac to anyone. My Mac Book has a SSD HD instead of the conventional motor drive and for speed that is the way to go.
                  Graham

Comment

I'm a very long time Apple user and my 27" I5 Quadcore is nearly a decade old and still working well. Apple does have issues with harddrive failures and I had to swap out the drive in that computer a couple of years ago and I've experienced the same in their Macbooks. I would also go with SSD in a Macbook to prevent that type of common failure.

Comment

I'm glad someone has bought an iMac Retina as it's on my wish list.

I think I'm done with PCs as the one I'm running is driving me mad, soooooooo slow ok for general stuff but processing images it's definitely struggling i did up the ram to its max and it's also a intel i5 processor so not too dated + all photo files are cleared from memory and stored onto external hard drive.

Though i do have similar thoughts as Garry, would it be just better to buy an updated PC for half the price?

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

i would never go back to a p.c ,love the macs and so so fast for processing ,plus the screens are all the same so theres no problems with colour variations ,what i see on my mac is what i see on my i.pad and what i see on my i-phone

Comment

I have used both Mac and PC and quite frankly as someone who spent their working life in IT they both bore me to tears in equal measure. The choice for photographers comes down to personal preference, if you are a musician then Apple is the only way to go. I try to make the computing side a bit more interesting by building my own PC's. That, clearly, takes Apple out of the frame. As a previous contributor said, 'enjoy your new machine' and remember that it is more about the software than the platform you run it on.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X