Challenge 103 - Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 103 - Power

Here in the UK we have just been through a General Election with various parties and people striving to gain or hang on to power (some rather more successfully than others ). So that seems a good subject for the next Challenge, particularly as there are plenty of other definitions of the word that you could work with, from the generation of power through to its application.

The Challenge starts now and closes at midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 27 May so you have a full 2 weeks, which includes (for many of you) a Bank Holiday weekend.

I am no professional judge but I will give an honest but constructive comment on each entry. The winner will be the image that, in my opinion, meets the subject the best, whilst also being a pleasing photographic image.

The standard Challenge rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

It would be really great to get a bumper crop of entries this time around so, if you are wondering whether this should be your first entry, give it a go - you have absolutely nothing to lose. It's just a bit of fun amongst friends.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 103 - Power

I'll start it off then with POWER CHORDS

power by Ian Taylor, on Flickr
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Only one way to follow celtex's post of the power chord from his Stratocaster - you also need an amplifier to provide the power...
      A bit of my Marshall -

7D + 24-105L + 580mk11.

Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

The Power of Water

2Y2A6268.jpg by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

5Diii, 70-200 f2.8L Mkii

Richard
        Last edited by rcarca; 22-05-2015, 10:15.
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I'm in with "There's Power in Vegetables"

Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Come along, people. Just a few days to go...
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Power - Powering out of trouble!

1DX, 200-400, 1/500, f/7.1, iso 100, 320mm handheld

.DAVID.

Come on people - 2 days to go MAKE THE EFFORT!!!!!
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

"Flower Power"

IMG_2769abc.jpg
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks to everyone who entered. I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed by the number (but not the quality, of course!) of entries, but just wanted to let you know that I won't get a chance to do the judging until the weekend, so hope that the six of you don't mind hanging on with bated breath until then. Cheers, Alex.
                  Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Oh bugger, I had an idea for this too and totally forgot about it. I might remember to post one tomorrow anyway just for fun.
                    Paul

Comment

Go on then, Paul, get it in today and I'll turn a blind eye. I'm sure no-one will object and the more the merrier. Anyone else?
                      Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Diodes

IMG_8411.jpg by Paul Harrison, on Flickr
                        Paul

Comment

Well, thanks for those those of you who entered. I had hoped for a few more, but we haven't had a 'double-figure' number of entries since Challenge 88 so I guess it is par for the course at the moment.
                          Anyways, my thoughts on each entry, caveated as usual by the fact that I am not a professional judge, it is just my personal opinion etc etc...

Celtex. Well, that takes me back. Through the eighties I was a long-haired denim-wearing heavy metal fan (still am, in my head) and so this is a very familiar image to me with many happy memories of album covers currently sitting in my loft. You've processed that really well, the lightening bolts are brilliantly done, with dazzling highlights in all the right places.
                          Chris J. So I've rocked out in the vicinity of a few of those in my time too. Nice deep depth of field throughout the image, and I love the lighting changing along the control plate. Well positioned flash for the effect on the right.
                          rcarca. Beautiful image, wonderful colour, looks like undulating strands of gold. I do love the really narrow depth of field. The only downside to me, for this competition, is that it needed the title to tell me it was actually water and the Flickr tags for me to understand it was cascading down steps. So it didn't quite shout out to me as 'powerful' enough.
                          ST-EOS. I laughed out loud. Another trip down memory lane, but this time to my classroom and all of those standard formulae I used to know so well. You must have used a ruler to get those peas so straight. Lovely range of colours, and all sharp and very well lit.
                          David Stallard. Great evocative image; I can really hear the roar of the engine and feel the power as he wheel-spins his way out of the sand. Great timing to get the smoke billowing out behind. I do wonder if I would have just cropped the red and white intrusion in the bottom left corner.
                          lunarbo. Another laugh out loud moment for me; I do love the ingenuity of forum members. Great colour combination and really nice detailed textures on the petals. If being really picky, the end of the stamen could be slightly sharper, but this may be the upload rather than your image. Hurry up getting your Flickr account sorted.
                          planetc. Despite being late, I've allowed this entry; hope that no-one objects (I promise that no FIFA-style back-handers were involved, I wish...). Great composition, well balanced off centre, this image is lifted out of the ordinary for me by the really tight depth of field. My one thought is that as it is only just off the vertical, my instinct was that it was actually meant to be vertical. Perhaps being a tad more oblique would have showed it was a design choice (I'm assuming it was...).

So, seven really good entries, each with much to commend, the winning order (based purely on gut feel) is as follows:
                          3rd: lunarbo (Bo): Flower Power.
                          2nd: Celtex (Ian): Power Chords.
                          1st: David Stallard: Powering out of Trouble.

So well done, David, over to you for the next one.
                          And come on everyone, let's have a bumper number of entries for Challenge 104.
                          Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Well done to all who entered and congrats to Dave.
                            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Congrats Dave

Alex ... Sorry I didn't put anything in I've been flat out work wise and have very little free time right now
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                              X