My first wedding! How much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first wedding! How much?

Be careful you will need a second body and associated backup equipment, are you used to shooting in low light ? flash is a no no unless you have good flash heads and an assistant, do you have a fall back plan in case you cannot make it for some reason, insurance in case you burn down the venue, the list of things is a long one, but nothing that cannot be overcome but this is someones big day, cock it up and it will not end well, if you get a couple who want to rinse you out on social media your screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Callan Cool View Post
      I'll throw in my tuppenceworth. In my area NW UK you can get a wedding photographer from £200 (Heck, I've even seen as low as £150) so I think even £200 is over the top. £100 max I say, ad that's a favour. I'm doing a Mates Rate for a very good friend's sister for £100,and I've done 8 weddings already. And to those who say that's demeaning our ability, are you angry at cheap newcomers undercutting you? Or are you overcharging clients? Competition necessitates these cut prices, jump on board or loose out.
      There will always be the bottom feeders who will do this type of work, good luck to you if you enjoy working for nothing.

Comment

The problem is with current wedding photography is most of the pro togs I've seen over charge and its no wonder couples look for cheaper alternatives -
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          The problem is with current wedding photography is most of the pro togs I've seen over charge and its no wonder couples look for cheaper alternatives -
          My daughter is planning her wedding for October next year. The pro at the venue looks to be very good but then with a basic charge of £1900 for the day up to £3800 for the full package I suspect she will be looking elsewhere.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
            My daughter is planning her wedding for October next year. The pro at the venue looks to be very good but then with a basic charge of £1900 for the day up to £3800 for the full package I suspect she will be looking elsewhere.
            thats a joke and doesn't do any favor's towards the industry when people charge so much because all they will think of is pro's charging over the top prices

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

It's barking isn't it. Some quick googling suggested starting at £1000 as a base level for someone with good experience which would weed out the chancers and inexperienced hacks. But That upper price is a large sum to swallow by any measure.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It's barking isn't it. Some quick googling suggested starting at £1000 as a base level for someone with good experience which would weed out the chancers and inexperienced hacks. But That upper price is a large sum to swallow by any measure.
                It all depends on what your getting a local guy to us starts at 5 grand and goes up to many times that, but he turns up with. Multiple bodies a couple of assistants, the venue is set up for flash, the assiistance are there to hold the flash heads exactly where they are needed, the printed media is on the best paper in the best books, there is always a market for high end photography, something the lower end photographers will never get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Studio488 View Post
                  It all depends on what your getting a local guy to us starts at 5 grand and goes up to many times that, but he turns up with. Multiple bodies a couple of assistants, the venue is set up for flash, the assiistance are there to hold the flash heads exactly where they are needed, the printed media is on the best paper in the best books, there is always a market for high end photography, something the lower end photographers will never get to.
                  I would suggest that’s very much a niche market you’re talking about there. I’ve been to four weddings this year and not one of them had that level of attention and I’m sure not that level of budget either.

Comment

I would suggest that’s very much a niche market you’re talking about there. I’ve been to four weddings this year and not one of them had that level of attention and I’m sure not that level of budget either.
                    agree Andy, just sounds like someone trying to upsale what is basically a wedding tog ....silly money.

I went to 3 weddings last year and the couples paid a few hundred and got decent photos that I would be happy to say were mine

Comment

Just as a add on. Last person I spoke to about wedding photos didn't want an album. They had a disc. Shared on line photos and had a DVD made of photos to show round. They had one photo in black and white for the house. Everything else was digital. Or printed off phones/ discs at the local photo place. So check with your couple what they want before planning prices. If your just providing discs surely it impacts on you if you start having to factor in inks printing and papers.
                      Last edited by DeeGee; 23-11-2017, 12:41.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                        Just as a add on. Last person I spoke to about wedding photos didn't want an album. They had a disc.
                        That's a very good point. In general, what does the Instagram/Snapchat generation want with printed photos?

Comment

I wonder if he went ahead with it and if so how it turned out.

Comment

Working...
                          X