Anybody using shootproof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody using shootproof?

I've had several enquiries now about both prints and downloads so I'm looking at the options for offering purchases, don't want to spend a lot of money to find I'm not covering it. Smugmug, amongst others looks great, but to get the flexibility I want requires an account that might end up costing me more than I make. Shootproof is looking like a good contender and uses Loxley for prints. Anybody have any input at all?
    Paul

Re: Anybody using shootproof?

Ok, so to add feedback of my own for others. It looks excellent, very flexible. The only downside I am seeing at the moment is that for UK use incoming payments have to be processed via PayPal and the fee to Loxley is taken by card. I don't like the idea of the income being in one place and the expenses departing from another so will not be using the integrated lab ordering! The only other option I have found that is similar cost wise is Pixieset, which is very similar but allows payments via Stripe, which deposits into a bank account on a 7 day rolling basis. I'm going to run with the PayPal option with shootproof and see how it goes. Dscl accept PayPal and have a decent reputation, so although I lose the start to finish automation I can at least keep the money in one place. Personally I would be more likely to order low value goods from an unknown trader via PayPal than a card anyway, and I suspect that others think the same way.
    Paul

Comment

I've never done anything like this before but I do know PP has some pretty high charges so make sure when costing this you add 10% to cover PP fees
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Gotta start somewhere Ian, I'm not doing it for nothing so prices will be set to give a decent margin. I take the photos for fun and love getting feedback from people but sometimes there's something really special in the results so it makes sense to offer prints as an option.
        Paul

Comment

agree completely and whilst PP isn't cheap its easy to set up and will deal with all the transaction for you - just make sure if it takes off and you start making money you transfer funds from your PP account as they do have a habit of locking funds should someone complain and they always side with the customer rather than merchant

Looking forward to hearing how you get on

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

The choice is that or Stripe if I switch to using Pixieset. Any experience with Stripe?
            Paul

Comment

none at all - my advice would be PP, people know that name, let alone the fact they are advertising on TV - when making online payments some people can get very nervous, using a brand name like PP will help them make the purchase, online transactions is all about trust

Comment

That's my thinking too, glad it's not just me. Thanks Ian
                Paul

Comment

Have never done this but have used Paypal a lot and I trust it, as I think, do many others now, so I think you have made a good choice.

Regards Paul

Comment

Technically my first commercial shoot coming up next weekend. Got my permissions arranged in advance from the Tournament organisers to make sure I don't tread on any toes offering prints and downloads for sale. Fingers crossed for a good weekend :-)
                    Paul

Comment

Good luck.
                      Neil

Comment

Yup, good luck Paul.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Hope it goes well Paul
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                            Technically my first commercial shoot coming up next weekend. Got my permissions arranged in advance from the Tournament organisers to make sure I don't tread on any toes offering prints and downloads for sale. Fingers crossed for a good weekend :-)
                            good luck and I hope you do well from it

Comment

Thanks chaps, had a great weekend, got some decent stuff to work with and it's selling well. I think I'm too cheap, but I am part of the community that I'm selling to so it's not so bad. It'll be interesting to see what the end result is when the sales have died off completely, will it be worth the effort to do it again or not.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X