760D or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

760D or not?

I love my 60D, but carrying it in a shoulder bag on holiday with the Tamron 16-300mm lens gives me backache. The 760D is 110 grams (4 oz) lighter. Would it make a big difference? I particularly like the articulating screen, so would never buy another camera without. Advice please.
    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Re: 760D or not?

I too have got the weight problem and I take my 100D + 55mm-250mm lens as my travel camera/lens. It does not have an articulated LCD screen but this is a small disadvantage for me.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I, in effect have 3 separate outfits with the 100D being my "fun", lightweight outfit. It is currently the smallest, lightest digital SLR on the market. But not to take anything away from it, it is a little cracker! A superb sensor, lots of little gadgets which are really useful.How about hand-held night-time shots? it takes several pics and merges them. You can crop in camera and save the image as a separate file, marvelous! Yes, I know you can do this in PP, but I DON'T WANT TO!! Like I say, it's a fun but very capable little camera, coupled with just a couple of lenses in a small bag is very light. e.g. a long ranging zoom like the Sigma 18-250mm or Tamron's equivalent plus one or two of the pancake type lenses, - terrific!!

Comment

The 1200D has the articulating screen, would that be a better holiday camera? Does it do the same as the 100D? It does sound appealing, and good on the bank balance!
        Last edited by JanHarper; 27-05-2015, 17:15.
        Janet

Comment

Jan, I do not have any experience of the 1200D and I am sure a member who owns one will be able to advice on this. I did own the 60D before I bought the 100D and I did not find the articulated LCD screen of any special benefit. I preferred the lightness of the 100D which is a marvellous camera- not a fun camera to me as it is very very good. I have even taken several low light pics with it at concerts fitted to the 50mm lens. It is excellent for unobtrusive photograpy apart from the excellent results it has given me.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I am seriously thinking of buying the 100D thanks to the advice here. I was thinking of replacing my 60D, but could afford a second camera body at the 100d cost.
            Thinking about when I mostly use the articulated screen, it tends to be on a tripod using live view, and I don't want to take a tripod on holiday, so problem solved.
            A couple of years ago I also bought a Canon Powershot SX50, but what you see is not what you get; the shutter lag can be awful. So that will be sold to fund the 100D!
            Thank- you Collywobbles, your enthusiasm persuaded me.
            Diolch Nathaniel, you persuaded me that I don't need the articulating screen, and I am now going internet shopping!
            Janet

Comment

I am sure you will enjoy the 100D as much as I do, and am looking forward to your photos with your new toy.

Comment

It's ordered! One final question; will the images from the 100d need sharpening, or has it been done in camera like a compact camera?
                Janet

Comment

You can sharpen the images in camera- follow the instructions, and also via post processing i.e photoshop. I do both. You are also better off buying a 100D guide book and the one I have is "Canon Rebel, SL1/EOS 100D, an expanded guide by David Taylor". You can get it on Ebay and costs between £12 to £15. Best of luck.

Comment

I have downloaded the PDF manual to my iPad already, so hope to hit the ground running! The HDR feature looks good, I like that feature on my phone.
                    Janet

Comment

Very pleased with the 100D. Took it to London yesterday with the EF-S 18-135mm lens attached. Not too heavy to carry around all day, and pleasing results. Thanks for your help. J
                      Janet

Comment

Nat, I call it my "fun" camera because, next to my 70D and 5D Mk II, that's what it is. But it's still a terrific camera in its own right. Being able to take night shots, hand held is brilliant!

Comment

Jan, I am glad you like your 100D; lets see some pics with your new "toy"! Colly, I agree that it is a terrific camera also agree with it's night time photo capabilities. I have taken some concert shots with it, e.g Foster and Allen at the local theatre.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-06-2015, 21:26.

Comment

I am now considering spending yet more money! Trying to decide of I want a smaller lens; the EF-S 18-55mm lens, and if I hardly ever use video, should I bother with STM?
                            Janet

Comment

I think STM lenses are OK even if you don't use Video (you may perhaps one day). You might like to consider the superb 15mm-85mm lens and or the equally supberb 55mm-250mm lens- I use the latter as my travel lens along with the 100D. For close ups I take my Compact Canon G15.

Comment

Working...
                              X