10 mm Wide Angle ..options for FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 mm Wide Angle ..options for FF

I'm considering buying a very wide angle around 10mm - It will be for a 5D so must be OK on FF camera

I don't fancy spending the cash on the 11-24 as my 16-35 does for most of the W/A shots I need.. I'm not looking at spending a fortune so under £600 - I know vignetting can be a problem in particularly noticeable in the cheaper ones, so whilst I’m not spending a lot I still want the quality, or I just won’t buy if I’m trading quality over getting an extra 7 mmm on my current lens, as thats extremely good

Am I asking too much for a high quality wide with my budget ?
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: 10 mm Wide Angle ..options for FF

Hmm, 10mm on FF always assumed that would be fisheye.

Might well be a wrong assumption on my part though.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

really, didn't know that - I suppose I was looking at the 11-25 and thats not classed as a fisheye - would a prime 10mm for FF be fisheye then ?

I wouldn't have a problem with zoom 10-17 ish ?

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        Hmm, 10mm on FF always assumed that would be fisheye.

Might well be a wrong assumption on my part though.
        My understanding that if a lens is classed as rectilinear ( whatever it's focal length)then it's not a fisheye lens.
        Rectilinear lenses produce straight lines where straight lines appear in the environment being photographed but those lines might lean or tilt inwards somewhat.
        A fisheye of the same focal length bends straight lines but has a wider angle of view for the same focal length.
        It might be better for an extremely low focal length on a FF camera to purchase a cheap but decent fisheye ( eg Samyang) and then use de- fishing software to straighten the bent lines. This software is often used by wide field astrophotographers and also by photographers of architecture who find a need to work in tight, small spaces.
        Hope this helps
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Yep, understand that Jim maybe rightly or wrongly didn't think there was a 10mm on FF that was rectilinear. As far as I was aware 12mm is widest rectilinear, Sigma 12-24 one example and not a good one.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
            My understanding that if a lens is classed as rectilinear ( whatever it's focal length)then it's not a fisheye lens.
            Rectilinear lenses produce straight lines where straight lines appear in the environment being photographed but those lines might lean or tilt inwards somewhat.
            A fisheye of the same focal length bends straight lines but has a wider angle of view for the same focal length.
            It might be better for an extremely low focal length on a FF camera to purchase a cheap but decent fisheye ( eg Samyang) and then use de- fishing software to straighten the bent lines. This software is often used by wide field astrophotographers and also by photographers of architecture who find a need to work in tight, small spaces.
            Hope this helps
            James
            interesting information James, I had seen references to Rectilinear lenses but wasn't 100% sure of the meaning - Maybe I'm looking for too much trying to find a cheapish very wide lens that won't distort, but as I've got an 17mm it would be pointless getting anything thats not around the 10mm mark ..

Thanks for the feedback guys

Comment

oh well I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 11-24 - Everything I've read about the lens says its stunning and it will give me the extra I need on some occasions -

I'm not sure if the 16-35L will now just stay in the bag, if so I may well sell that as I've got that range covered with my 24-105

Comment

Excellent - looking forward to seeing some of your work using it.
                Personally, if you can wait a while, I would hang onto the 16-35 L IS. Much lighter, good walk about lens, takes screw on filters, easier to use in rain or bad weather ( I love bad weather for photography). If it sits unused in your bag for a few months then that's the time to sell it. Just a thought.
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

wise words ....cheers James, or when the MkIV comes out leave that lens on that body LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X