5Ds R with 800/5.6 IS or 200/2 IS lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 2012 Canon released the 5D Mark III and had some issues when used with select Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM and Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM lenses.

The issue being an abnormal operating noise with the IS and USM mechanism when AF is engaged and IS was ON.

I was one the few affected by this incompatibility that would require the lens to be shipped back to CPS, disassmbled and a part swapped out.

Not wanting to mess with a perfectly working lens I decided to skip the 5D Mark III.

Now, with the 5Ds R I can say my 800 operates as quietly as if it was attached to a 7D Mark II.

On a side note for those who received their bodies within the past week what is the last digits of your serial number? Mine is less than 50. :)
    Last edited by dolina; 17-06-2015, 07:39.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Re: 5Ds R with 800/5.6 IS or 200/2 IS lens

Was it too slow when focusing? My 1DX was OK with the a 2x on a 600 f4
    Last edited by briansquibb; 17-06-2015, 09:40.
    ef-r

Comment

I preordered the day it was announced. Hunt's in Boston shipped on Monday. UPS says it will be here today. Will report last two of sn when here.

I'd like to be able to afford your 800mm and 200mm f2 problem.
      Last edited by bowserb; 18-06-2015, 12:23.
      Bill
      "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

wow good buy ,wish i had that kind of money to blow on gear

Comment

Dolina, the last digits if our 5DSR serial number, received yesterday--000252.
          Bill
          "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            wow good buy ,wish i had that kind of money to blow on gear
            Fox, some people could take offense to a remark like that. I don't "blow" money. I do, however, sometimes spend it.

This 5DSR is my wife's. The day this new model was announced, she proclaimed, "You've got to order it today!" I did. She gets great pleasure sitting out in a wildlife refuge with the mosquitos and chiggers, hiking through a canyon while watching for rattlesnakes and tarantulas, or posing grandchildren in our home studio, and almost as much--maybe more--in front of her two 27" monitors working in Photoshop and Portrait Professional. I don't consider spending money for her happiness to be "blowing" it. We do have our limits, though. No Canon 800mm or 200mm F2 in this house (luckily, my wife doesn't read this forum), although there is a 500 F4 and 300 F2.8.

I was here when UPS delivered the new camera. I only opened it enough to take out the battery and charger, so it would be ready for her to assemble and test when she got home. I would not dare to be the first to handle her new camera. This stuff is to her what jewelry is to most women...and being a fan of function over form, I appreciate that.

And for me personally, I am downsized. Canon 100D, aka Rebel SL1, with a Tamron 16-300 and the little external flash that was originally sold for the ill-fated EOS-M. That combo weighs only 5oz more than the 7D body alone. Good thing, since I usually help carry my wife's gear!

Fox, it's all a matter of priorities and what is important to you. I drive a 15 year old Subaru with 210,000 miles on it. For most of the people I know, those years and miles would be at least two, or for some, three cars. The price of a new automobile buys a LOT of camera gear. Our home mortgage has been paid off for years. We have had no debt of any kind for a really long time, so writing a check for $3,899 (USD) was not a problem. My wife's photography, which I enjoy too, is our major indulgence. And a few handguns, an AR-15, and Mossberg 20-gauge, thanks to the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment. OK, and some nice California grape juice in the wine fridge. And the aforementioned grandchildren.

Oh yes, and between us, we've been working for over 90 years.

Now, I've got to spend half a day with the new camera and half a dozen or so lenses, configuring autofocus micro adjustment for each lens. Something tells me that process is really important with this box.
            Bill

Comment

Blow money is a term I often use when spending cash and discussing purchases with others, just a case of lost in translation and I'm sure Jeff didn't imply you spent money casually
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hehe, and there's me making my own lens hood..... One day, lol
                Paul

Comment

No offence meant or implied ,I simply don't have that sort of money to spend although our circumstances sound similar ,the sheer cost of living in the u.k is something that would not be tolerated your side of the pond ,our fuel is taxed to the hilt ,along with everything else and after working all our life's my pensions have to support both of us as the wife's pension eligibility age has been pushed further into the future due to our corrupt goverments over the years .having brought up six children over the years didn't leave us with much for a rainy day either ,but I have my health instead of wealth and that means a lot .hope your wife likes her new toy.

Gotta pop to the shops now for some candles ,we can't afford electric these days either
                  Last edited by the black fox; 19-06-2015, 13:13.

Comment

"England and America, two countries separated by the same language"
                    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

being a ex cabbie i learnt to converse in many languages ,english,welshish,americanese,japaneasy, but mainly taxi drivers own language often heard over the two way radio bollockanese

Comment

Retire in the Philippines gents. The warm weather is year round and most of your health care professionals come from here and charge far far less.

What I notice retirees who move here do is get a flat that is walking distance to the medical centers certified to treat the US President in case of emergencies.

I am not offended by the verbiage. I get far far harsher flake from locals. ;)

Below are image samples from the 5Ds R from a 50mm.

'del as Framed by alabang, on Flickr

'del at 100% by alabang, on Flickr

^^ the 2048 by something 100% magnification can be viewed at https://flic.kr/p/v4cnr1 I had to shrunk it down to half that for hotlink.

EXIF: 1/160 f/5.6 ISO 160 5DS R Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 ZE
                        Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
                          "England and America, two countries separated by the same language"
                          Here,here. The spelling leaves much to be desired also. No offence meant.

Comment

Or even hear, hear
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

One must keep in mind that photogrpahic equipment is far cheaper in the far east than in the west. So one must compare like with like when making price comparisons.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X