G10 - So Well Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G10 - So Well Made

A week last Sunday I was rambling in The Lakes and managed to fall (down the crags south of Low Pike on my return to Ambleside for those that know the north of Ambleside) with the G10 round my neck ... I landed on my front with my right hand taking the most impact. Hand bleeding ... bruises popping out in many places ... an aluminium water bottle looking battered ... but the G10 (on to which I landed) was unmarked and undamaged. Remarkable. Lucky! [My front had a G10 sized bruise!].

Re: G10 - So Well Made

Sorry to hear of your fall MX - hope you're OK now ??
    Lucky - I think that's just the photographer in you talking - new cameras are easy to buy - spare parts for humans not so cheap
    Anyway - to your point - I have a G9 & a G11 - the 9 is as tough as old boots but there's an awful lot of plastic on the G11.
    I don't think the 11 would survive the tumble you've just had.

jhdee
    jhdee

Comment

jhdee - yes thanks am okay. When you have a fall like this you get the medical kit out and do a quick 'keep the dirt out' job ... and then get the brain in gear as you've more crags to get down. It put me in shock ... but 1/2L of water helped. I let most of the group (I was with 12) go ... and just two chaps stayed with me. Once in Ambleside popped in Cafe Treff (best coffee in town) and asked if I could mend myself ... which I did. I was up the following day at silly'o'clock for a 250 mile drive ... with a EOS 1D Mark IV on loan ...

One wonders what will follow the G11 ... I'd like it weather sealed, faster lens, bigger sensor (not more pixels) and built like a tank ;-)

Comment

In a former life I used to help organise the Welsh Three Peaks (Snowdon, Cadair Idris & Pen-y-Fan) and got so see the results of quite a few tumbles - it really shakes people up, even the very experienced. Not sure about your cure of 1/2L of water though ...... we normally found 1/2L of Whiskey did the trick..... didn't fix anything but you felt a lot happier

Don't start looking for improvements on the 11 ...... I've only just got over the impulse buy of the one I've got

Just for info - the Welsh Three Peaks is a great weekend out ... I would say that anyway wouldn't I .... but all the proceeds go to Ty Hafarn which is a hospice for terminally ill children. They receive nothing from the Government (or least they didn't used to) and operate on a donation basis. The event is sponsored by GE Wales who cover all the costs of setting up with safety crews etc..
        Normally takes place in June but certainly worth a shot.

jhdee
        jhdee

Comment

First time I've drawn blood on a walk ... and I'm out every week. Good job I go out properly equipped! I do see folk with DSLR’s (or even 5x4’s) out and about but without any other 'outdoor' kit.

In Welsh Wales - I'm planning a Capel Curig walk .. recce in a couple of weeks and then the real deal in September. Thinking about leading one at Corwen in the winter. Also got Beddgelert coming up ... so will try Moel Hebog again (the views over the valley towards Snowdon are splendid) ... last time on a sunny day I had Moel Hebog to myself whilst Snowdon was like Piccadilly Circus. Sat watching the chuffers way down below for a while ... at peace with life. Taking my mum up to see the new visitors centre on top of Snowdon next week ... but I'll use the mountain railway for that as my mum is nearly 90. Probably take the 7D on that trip.

Comment

Working...
          X