7d2file rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7d2file rendering

just wondering ,i look at lots of peoples birding shots from all over taken with various cameras and lenses etc .from canon through nikon and sony etc ,but something is starting to become noticeable the shots i see taken with the 7d2 seem to me to have a harshness about them ,yes the detail is stunning in all of them but at the expense of appearing slightly false .
    is it just me or has anyone else noticed it ,not that i'm running the camera down its just the "emperors new clothes " syndrome can take over and be accepted as the norm ,perhaps the files should be p.p differently i don't know but its bugging me and i had to mention it .?

Re: 7d2file rendering

Unless you can look at the original Raw file Jeff I don't see how you can say the camera produces harsh images - the moment it goes from the camera into processing its all changed -

Maybe the answer is to ask other 7D2 owners to post jpegs and then you can see what the camera is producing
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      just wondering ,i look at lots of peoples birding shots from all over taken with various cameras and lenses etc .from canon through nikon and sony etc ,but something is starting to become noticeable the shots i see taken with the 7d2 seem to me to have a harshness about them ,yes the detail is stunning in all of them but at the expense of appearing slightly false .
      is it just me or has anyone else noticed it ,not that i'm running the camera down its just the "emperors new clothes " syndrome can take over and be accepted as the norm ,perhaps the files should be p.p differently i don't know but its bugging me and i had to mention it .?
      Can you point out some examples of what you mean Jeff?
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I've thought this for a while with some of the images from the 7D2, they have as Jeff says a harshness to them making them look like an HDR process, maybe it is the processing and not the camera then but I seem to see it a fair amount

Gordon

Comment

i have deliberately not named any particular users so as not to put anyone on the defensive ,and i'll stick to that . but in all honesty apart from a few people that i consider as semi-pros and who hide there exif so your unsure of what camera there using some times anyway ,the majority of 7d2 birding photos that i see have a harshness to them ,some might say its just extra sharpness etc but you don't see that effect from say nikon d810 36mp files ,and as gordon says a lot of 7d2 photos seem to have a HDR look to them .
          its not just on here that i'm talking about but all over the net ,if you can't see it then its not a problem i just tend to analyze other peoples work to see if it will help me to further my work ,and its starting to become noticeable .nice to see that i'm not alone in this either

Comment

Is it fair to compare a top of the line crop sensor camera with a top of the line FF camera - 7D2 vs D810? And the problem with not being able to cite examples, for better or worse, is that it leaves me completely uninterested in the argument. A kind of move along, nothing to see here position.

But to be honest, if anything I think some of my 7D shots show less realistic effects than the more recent 7D2 ones. But perhaps that's me switching from CC to Lightroom and processing differently not the cameras.
            Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 07-07-2015, 13:36.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Looking at RAW files from my 7DII in LR if anything they seem rather flat compared with my Olympus and need more processing, it was the same with the mk1 as well. Perhaps this is the main problem, that PPing the files leads to this unnatural effect, which I haven't noticed. I view most posts on my iMac, do monitor or OS characteristics have any effect here and has anyone else noticed this? If my files appear unnatural then I need to know about it, we all have something to learn, me more than most.

David
              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                If my files appear unnatural then I need to know about it, we all have something to learn, me more than most.
                I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Can't say I've notice that about mine Jeff. I moved from the 7D to the mark ii and other than the reduction in overall noise I'd say they are comparable.

Are you only seeing this effect on bird shots or is this a general statement regarding images from the 7D2?
                  Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

well i mainly look at bird shots so thats where i'm coming from ,as a for instance and completely away from the 7d2 at the weekend three of us were out together equipment list was myself with 1D3 and sig-monster ,friend with 1DX and 500mmf4 mkii ,another friend with 5dmkiii and 300mm f2.8 with 2x t.c .we all process on macs using basically the same methods i.e ps6 as they have been taught by my son .
                    the results were a surprise to me as the 1DX and 500 came in pretty well similar to mine ,to close to call really while the 5d3 and lens gave the nicest finished shots overall .so its surprising what does turn up results wise sometimes .
                    coming back to the 7d2 as i said i don't want to start a defensive war over it just encourage people to look honestly at whats being displayed without naming names or causing anyone to spit out there dummy .
                    but it seems that at least two of us have noticed a harshness in finished photos surely then i can't just be us two

Comment

I'm not into bird photos Jeff but can only comment on the images I've seen here and I'm just not seeing what you are - I know with the non bird images Alan posted I wouldn't say they are hard or HDRish but the problem here is unless we have two identical images how can you prove this ? - you have two cameras why not take two identical photos as jpegs and post them

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Not sure whether this is relevant but the raw files from my MK11 definately have less vibrance than from the MK1. Usually by about +40 in Lightroom. I only really noticed this after my wife took over the MK1 and we shot similar images on a walk - or as she put it started taking 'better' pictures than me

Dave
                        www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Originally posted by DP the Snapper View Post
                          - or as she put it started taking 'better' pictures than me

Dave
                          LOL... I'm trying to convince my wife to take the 5D from me, but that would be my worry

Comment

only one camera now ian the 70d finally pushed me to the point of frustration snapping and it went on the bay of E and sold in less than 24 hrs . i may well yet go for a 7d2 but i as yet haven't been convinced that its better ,i will try to arrange a meet up and trial with a friend that i know has his set up properly and take it from there ,and that is where i suspect ??? that these discrepancies i see creeping in are coming from,i know for a fact there's a small group of friends up here that use them extremely well but keep there settings very much to themselves .

Comment

look forward to seeing the outcome Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X